picture not available
|OWNERS: Ludwig Hein, Alex Brinkman, Martha Bierschwale, Agnes Codrington, Hubert T. Rabe, Eugene Ames, Jr., Dale T. Ogden, Jamie Maverick Killian||ADDITION:Comfort Township LOT: #93||DATE: Before 1900 Style/Period: Victorian|
|BUILDERS:||CONSTRUCTED OF: Wood frame||DESCRIPTION: One story frame with gabled roof; front bay window; bracketed porch supports.|
HISTORY: Ludwig Hein was born in Steinhoefel Kreise Friedeberg,
Berlin on October 9, 1955. In 1877, at age 22 he immigrated to the United States
via the Port of New Orleans, and crossed country until he reached Waring,
Ludwig, from a family of 11 children, was joined in this country five years later by the passage of his parents, Henry and Ottilie Hein to Waring, Texas. In Waring, Ludwig met and married Rosa Treiber. Rosa was born August 19, 1867 in Burgenland, Austria. She, too, had immigrated to this country. On January 8, 1890, Ludwig Hein purchased Lot 93 in the township of Comfort from Achese Auguste for the sum of $150.
The Hein house, built before 1900, served as the home for the Hein's when Ludwig had a blacksmith shop next door. Six children were born to Ludwig and Rosa.
Son, Frederick, remembers how hard his father, Ludwig, worked in the tin blacksmith shop which adjoined their home directly on the southside. There were many horses to shoe as well as difficult wheel rims to mend.
In 1914, Ludwig moved his family to San Antonio so that his younger children might attend school there.
On April 19, 1923, Southwestern Bell moved the local switchboard from the Koblin Building to 727 High Street. Miss Augusta Allerkamp was in charge with 340 local and rural lines coming into the Comfort switchboard.
In 1925 Mrs. Grace Martin assumed management of the switchboard. The main switchboard was located in the front room while the remainder of the home served as Mrs. Martin's living quarters. The dining room of the home also served as one of the first lending libraries of the town, when in January, 1941, Mrs. Martin begin keeping the library books.
In 1947 Zahn Green purchased the Comfort and Center Point Exchanges which operated as Hill Country Telephone Company. With the advent of the dial system, Green sold out in 1955 to Hill Country Telephone, ending a 32 year era of Comfort's History.
The simple frame home was typical of those built in Comfort at the Turn of the Century as indicated by the porch columns, brackets and exposed rafter. The back portion of the house was added to the original structure before 1936.
The house was given a Historic Marker in 1987.
Source: Boerne Public Library files- Feb. 2000
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page