hillingdon cabin
HILLINGDON-GILES RANCH,
Old San Antonio Road between Fredericksburg and Comfort
Library File #300.039

HISTORY: This is a house of one and one-half to two stories, irregular plan; made of stucco with towering capped chimneys reflecting English influence. There are arched lattice porches and simple bracing detail in rear gables. There are numerous out-buildings including a dog-trot cabin. The house was designed by the architect, Alfred Giles, as his retreat. The house has remained in the Giles family since construction about 1855. The file contains a biographical sketch of Ernest Palmer Giles taken from "The Comfort News", October 6, 1977, by Lloyd Murphy. The article also contains a sketch of the founder of Hillingdon, Alfred Giles and his wife, Annie Laura James. The same article appeared in "Texas Hill Country VIEW," February, 1981. The obituary of Palmer Giles in the file indicates he died in 1986 and was buried on Hillingdon Ranch. See file for details.

Source: Boerne Public Library files; Photos courtesy Garland Perry, February, 2000.

Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page