114 E. Oak Park, Boerne
|OWNERS: Kingsbury, MacFarland, and John James||ADDITION: Dietert LOT#: 6||DATE: C1880 Style/Period: Pioneer Rock|
|BUILDERS: Ives Brown||CONSTRUCTED OF: Rock with metal roof, 6 x 6 windows.||DESCRIPTION: Two-story symmetrical with regularly coursed blocks; dressed window sills and lintels; central door has transom; hipped roof; upper windows are French.|
HISTORY: Records show that John Small originally owned the land
where the house is now located. In 1853 his heir, Martha A. Solomon and her
husband Alexander, sold 1280 acres to Dr. W.G Kingsbury for $300.00. Dr.
Kingsbury in turn sold a part of the land to William Kernaghan. William Dietert
acquired the Dietert Addition acreage in 1874 and town lots No. 3 and 6 were
sold to Ichabod and Alice V. Kingsbury in 1879.
In 1891 the property was purchased by Bertha Biessner who later married H. H. McFarland. The McFarland heirs sold the house to Mrs. John H. James in 1925. She bought it to replace a summer home in Comfort that she and her late husband previously owned. (Judge John James was the son of John James, a well known land dealer who with Gus Theissen, platted and surveyed the city of Boerne in 1852 and later gave the Main Plaza and courthouse land to boerne and Kendall County)
The beautiful old house which was built around 1880 has been known variously as the Kingsbury-Biessner home, the Kingsbury Place, the McFarland Home and now the James House is presently owned by Maria M. Sykes, a great-grand- daughter of John James, the great frontier surveyor and businessman who contributed so much to the early development of Boerne.
Source: Perry, Garland A., "Historic Images of Boerne, 1982", p 175.
Please Press your Browser's Button to Return to Main Page