|ID# 19833||ORIGINAL USE: Home||PRESENT USE: Home||CURRENT OWNER: David and Karen Reyes||OWNERS:Wm. Kuhfuss, Ottilie Schweppe||LOCATION: Original Town Lot: #12||DATE: c1896 Style/Period: German Pioneer||HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: BHP|
|BUILDERS: Wm. Kuhfuss||CONSTRUCTED OF: Native Rock||CONDITION: Good||DESCRIPTION: One story stone with low hipped roof; stone blocks regularly coursed in front, random on sides and back; remodelled and added onto several times.|
HISTORY: In the spring of 1860 Carl Wilhelm Kuhfuss purchased a
sizable piece of land on the hill just north of the town of Boerne. He
immediately built a simple two room house where he and his wife, Marie Therese
Nee Riedel, would raise their children. The following year Mr. Kuhfuss purchased
the land adjoining his making a total of about thirty acres. This land covered
what is now the north end of Boerne. Year by year William improved the place
making it a very beautiful and profitable farm. He dug a well, and built several
barns and corrals. He and his sons raised cattle and planted corn on the farm.
Since he prospered, he built a new, very large house for his family in 1876.
This house was located right in the middle of present day main street just south
of where it intersects with Frederick Street.
The daughter of William Kuhfuss, Ottilie, married Friedrich Schweppe on Dec 18, 1878. As a wedding present William gave the newlyweds the old "homestead house". The Schweppe's sold the house around 1900.
Mr. Kuhfuss owned a general merchandise store that was located where the Gilliat Building now stands. He was also one of the organizers of the Boerne Schuetzen Verein. He was Kendall County's first treasurer, a post he held for twenty-four years. He was also the Justice of the Peace for four years.
District Court was held in this house in 1867. It was the courthouse and clerks office in 1869.
Source: Boerne Public Library file; Ford J. Lauer III.