208 E. Theissen, Boerne
|OWNERS: Reinhold Kutzer, METHODIST CHURCH||ADDITION: Beversdorff LOTS: #14-16||DATE: 1890 Style/Period: German Pioneer|
|BUILDER: Henry Clemens.||CONSTRUCTED OF: Native limestone; shingle roof; 6x6 windows||DESCRIPTION: Original house was a plain rectangular limestone block house. The kitchen and porch were added later. In 1976 the house was altered considerably when it was completely renovated and additional living accommodations were provided.|
HISTORY: Built in 1890 by Henry Clemens, the house was first
owned by Reinhold Kutzer, son of Carl Kutzer who immigrated to the U.S. from
Germany with his wife and three children in 1854. Carl Kutzer bought a sawmill
on Cypress Creek near Comfort in 1865 and he later owned a flour mill on the
Guadalupe River about two miles above Comfort.
Census records show that Reinhold Kutzer and his wife, Pauline Holzinger Kutzer, were residents of Boerne in 1870. They had 12 children and the old Kutzer home was sold to their oldest son, Albert P. Kutzer, in 1895, the same year in which he married Lucy Henrietta Schwetheim. The Albert Kutzers owned the old Theissen Street residence until 1924 when it was traded for rthe two-story commercial building at the North-ease corner of James and Main Street. They had three children: Irvin Albert, John Francis and a daughter, Elsie Theresa, who died from scarlet fever in 1900 at age four.
Albert Kutzer who was born in Boerne, October 7 1871, was a leading citizen and businessman in this community. he owned a cotton gin on the west side of his house and later acquired the first gasoline distributorship in Boerne. He also sold Studebaker wagons and Dodge automobiles during the 1st quarter of the 20th century. He was mayor of Boerne from 1915 to 1920.
The Methodist Church acquired it in the 1970's and remodelled it extensively to be used as a residence for the local pastor.
Source: Perry, Garland A., "Historic Images of Boerne, 1982", Econ-o-print, p159; and Boerne Public Library files.- May, 1999