|ID# 19763||ORIGINAL USE: Livery Stable||PRESENT USE: Jewelry Shop||CURRENT OWNER: Jerry Gowen|
|OWNERS: C. H. Schrader, Rosamond and I. A. Kutzer, Irvin Kutzer.||LOCATION: Bevrsdorff Addition Town Lot: #1||DATE: c1880 Style/Period: Livery Stable||HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: BHP|
|BUILDER: Lawrence and Christian Schrader||CONSTRUCTED OF: Wood; metal roof; commercial windows||CONDITION: Fair||DESCRIPTION: The old frame building that housed the stable is in deteriorating condition except for the front portion that has been remodelled.|
HISTORY: Built by brothers Lawrence H. and Christian
approximately 1898, the Schrader Livery Stable provided a quality
means of transportation to
this community for more then twenty years--until the more efficient
automobile gradually took
its place and there was no longer a demand for the horse and buggy.
The horse and buggy rented for $1.50 per day and a horse
drawn bus ride from the
railroad depot to local hotels was ten cents. The SA & AP ran two
trains daily from San
Antonio to Boerne, and Andrew Potter met the trains regularly with
a freight wagon to haul
suitcases and baggage downtown.
Many salesmen and drummers stayed at the nearby Becker House,
at 211 S. Main,
where the Lester's Texaco Station now is located. The Hotel
provided them with a display
room where local merchants could drop by and view their wares.
There was one salesman
called "Candy Jones" who brought along a pet monkey and gave out
free samples of candy for
the Duerler Candy Company of San Antonio.
Horse drawn vehicles entered the old livery stable from Main
Street. The Schrader
office was on the left and rental buggies on the right. Hay was
stored upstairs over the office
and horses were kept in the back.
The front portion of the stables was remodelled and used for several businesses over the years--Reiger's Grocery; Handy Andy; Gerfer's BIGS General Store; Kutzer's Hill Country Sales. In 1950 when Archie and Alice Gerfers opened their general store which they named BIGS, there was a canopy extending to the street to shade the cars that stopped there. BIGS moved to 319 N. Main when the Irvin Kutzer family purchased the property and Rosamund Kutzer opened her Hill Country Sales business. They removed the canopy leaving the building with its open front as it is now.
Source: Perry, Garland A., "Historic Images of Boerne, Texas 1982", Econ-o-print, p154; a
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Pagend Boerne Public Library files.- May, 1999