|ID# 21626||ORIGINAL USE: Gasoline Station||PRESENT USE: Business Office||CURRENT OWNER: Ed Mergele|
|OWNERS: B. D. Wilkins||LOCATION: Dietert Lot: #4||DATE: 1926 Style/Period: Log Cabin||HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: NO|
|BUILDER: B.D. Wilkins||CONSTRUCTED OF: Wood-log/cedar; shingle roof; commercial windows||CONDITION: Good||DESCRIPTION: One story gasoline station built of cedar logs.|
HISTORY: The old abstracts on the land indicate that B. D.
Wilkins bought the land on September 26, 1923. Another legal document shows it
being leased to Magnolia Petroleum Co. on January 18, 1933. Bea (Wilkins)
Foxworthy, Castroville, Texas in April 1988 supplied the information and the
picture taken in 1927. She presumes the cabin was built between 1923 and 1927
and that her father, B. D. Wilkins, had it built, taking cedar logs from his
Boerne Cedar Company located on the road to the Fairgrounds (River
From the Boerne Star, May 18, 1978: "Wilkins, a former Mayor or Boerne who owned a cedar yard and grain business on East Rosewood built the "log Cabin" on the corner which now houses Mergele Real Estate and the home next to it which houses "Our Past Time Antiques" in 1926. The Wilkins family lived in the home, and the "cabin" known as the "Log Cabin Service Station", sold Magnolia gasoline to motorists traveling from San Antonio to Fredericksburg and vice versa." continuing the Star quote: "Mr. Mergele purchased the home and cabin in January 1977, and has, over the past year, done a remarkable job of restoring both."
Source: Boerne Public Library files. May 1999
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page