|ID# 19906||ORIGINAL USE: Saloon/Opera House/Movie||PRESENT USE: Commercial Shops||CURRENT OWNER: Don Edmondson|
|OWNERS:||LOCATION: Original Town Lot #84||DATE: c1888 Style/Period: Commercial||HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: NO|
|BUILDERS: Thought to be Lavallee||CONSTRUCTED OF: Brick||CONDITION: Gone-replaced||DESCRIPTION: Brick building; metal seam roof, store windows.|
HISTORY:First used by Lavallee as a saloon, then a liquor store. Later as a theater for silent movies. It was named "Opera House" which is misleading. [Ella Fabra, who was born about 1904 told of going there when she was a child with her parents. The parents danced while the children were placed on the floor on one side of the hall to sleep.] The silent movies became "talkies", then the building evolved into the Plaza Theater.
In the 1960's E.E. Ebner bought the building and tore it down to build the present red brick. Mr. Ebner moved his Rexall Drugstore from the building across the street to his new building in 1967.The building was purchased from the Ebner's for Saliano's Restaurant in 1987. The owner of Saliano's enlarged the building. This was a thriving restaurant of Italian cuisine for about ten years until the owner retired. At this time the building is not occupied.[May 1999]
The building has been occupied by several businesses, one following the other, since 1999.
Source: Boerne Public Library file.-update December 2007
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page