|OWNERS: Peter Ingenhuett, Udo & Hedwig Ingenhuett Letz, Bill Meyer, Dr. Bob Potter||ADDITION: RURAL:Comfort,Kendall County||DATE:c1863/88 Style/Period: Victorian German|
|BUILDER: Peter Ingenhuett||CONSTRUCTED OF: Limestone Rock and wood; metal roof; 2 x 2 windows||DESCRIPTION:The homestead has two buildings involved. The 1863 cabin behind the big house was a home, a wash house, storage room, taxidery shop, garage and antique shop. It has fachwerk and outside stairs. The 1888 house is a one story, German Victorian limestone with gingerbread on porch.|
HISTORY: The original (1863) Peter Joseph Ingenhuett Homestead
was located behind the later house. This cabin served as the Ingenhuett's home
until they moved into the second floor of the "new" mercantile store building in
1880. In addition to a residence, the cabin has also served many other purposes.
It was a wash house with inside hearth, a storage building, a taxidermy shop
(when owned by Udo Letz) a garage, and an antique shop (which the Meyer's
The larger house was built in 1888 for Peter Joseph and Marie Karger Ingenhuett. Mr. Ingenhuett was a prominent businessman in the community who built several businesses along High Street including the hotel, saloon, and the Ingenhuett Store.
The house originally had clapboard siding. The stucco exterior was added in the first half of this century to improve the fire resistance as several fires had occurred in the vicinity. The house was renovated in the early 1970s with turned balusters and a new fretwork design being installed on the front porch. It was purchased in 1986 by Bill and Helen Meyer. Working from old photographs, the Meyers replaced the balusters and fretwork design in 1991 to more nearly approximate that of the original construction. The stairway in the central hall, giving access to the expanded attic, was moved from the Ingenhuett-Faust Hotel.
The Homestead received a Texas Historical Marker in 1985.
Source: Boerne Public Library files.
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page