|ID# 25984||ORIGINAL USE: Home||PRESENT USE: Commercial||CURRENT OWNER: Reitz||OWNERS:Max Beseler, Edna Harz, Trent Jones, J.D. Reitz||LOCATION: Sansom Addition, Lot #:9||DATE: c1894 Style/Period: Victorian||HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: BHP|
|BUILDERS: unknown||CONSTRUCTED OF: Wood clapboard, shingle roof, 4 x 4 windows.||CONDITION: Good||DESCRIPTION: One and 1/2 story Victorian, with front bracketted porch on the S.E. side and bay window on south side. Basically remains the same except for painting and maintenance work.|
HISTORY: This house was built by an unknown contractor for Max and
Emma (Kuhfuss) Beseler in 1894. Max, a master wood worker was a pioneer leader
in early Boerne. Max and Emma lived in the home until Emma's death in 1926. At
that time, their only child, daughter Edna Harz and husband, Herbert, along with
two daughters, Maxine and Dorothy, moved in with Max to care for him. In 1928,
they all moved across the street to the rock house at 518 N. Main that Max had
built for his parents, the Carl Beselers. After this time, the house was rented
out until Edna and Herbert Harz sold to Mr. Clarence Nollkamper in
Olga and Trent Jones purchased the house in 1983 making it compatible with their business purposes. They kept the house fourteen years, until 1997, when it was sold to Nancy and J. Reitz.
The original German Victorian house, a one story frame structure with 13 foot ceilings and varnished wooden floors, had a cedar shingle roof with a decorative lightning arrester system on top. In 1904, the dining room was enlarged, another bedroom and a bath were added. It was originally heated by wood burning stoves, later kerosene circulating heaters were used and then gas connections were installed.
The front door had a beautifully carved glass depicting a deer in the brush. The large front porch was completely enclosed by an ornately carved wooden banister-type railing about 3 feet high. It was painted brown and white as was all of the decorative trim along the eaves and steps. The front steps were a matching gateway entrance. In later years the porch was remodeled and the banisters and gateway removed. The wooden floor was replaced by a cement slab. The porch remains the same today and the cedar shingle roof has been replaced by a tin roof.
The house was used by Olga and Trent Jones as a real estate office, as a telephone answering service headquarters and later a bookstore.
Since Nancy and J. D. bought the house in 1997, the Ebner contractors have leveled the house, which had a buckled foundation, placed rain gutters on the house and have completely painted, repaired and improved the exterior and interior of the house.
Source: from certificate & plaque award presented by BAHPS to owners, Nancy & J. D. Reitz; and contractors, David & Dafana Ebner Nov. 1998.
Source: Boerne Public Library files.
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page