Dam, 1913

DIETERT SAWMILL AND GRIST MILL
River Rd.@ Dam Site, Boerne
Library File # 94.2
- ORIGINAL USE: Mill PRESENT USE: Gone CURRENT OWNER: City owns property
OWNERS: Henry & William Dietert ADDITION: LOT#: DATE: Style/Period: HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: NO
BUILDERS: Wm. Dietert CONSTRUCTED OF: CONDITION: Burned Down DESCRIPTION:

HISTORY: The indentation of the old "Mill Race" can be seen today near the Dam of the Cibolo Creek in downtown Boerne. It is on the North side of the river, just east of the Herbst Veterinary Clinic.
William Dietert (1830-1894) from Bradenburgh, Germany, landed in Galveston in 1855 with his brother Christian. They went to Comfort and eventually to Boerne, where they worked as wheelrights. In 1857 they established a saw mill and a grist mill. At first it was run by water power, later fired by wood and run by steam. William had been joined in this business by a brother, Henry. After the mill burned, these men devoted their time to agriculture.-by Nelle Marie Huff

William Dietert built the first business in the village of Boerne. He built a dam on the Cibolo where the present dam is, to water power a saw mill and grist mill on the North side of the dam. In time, a cotton gin and press were added. There are no pictures of the mill, unfortunately, but you can still see huge rocks that were part of the original dam on the lower side. On 16 July, 1912 the one and one-half acre Dam site was sold to the City of Boerne for $1.00. The Mayor at the time was W. T. Reeve. The recorded document showing this sale was signed by the following: Rosa Dietert, Amalie Dietert, Gus Dietert, Mrs. Amalia Wendler, L. Fabra, Bertha Fabra.

Source: Col. Bettie Edmonds prepared file on Henry Dietert House-1996.

Source: Boerne Public Library file