fabrsmokhse fabrsmokhse
FABRA SMOKEHOUSE
202 S. Main, Boerne
Library File #48
OWNERS: Ludwig Fabra, Henry Fabra, Tom Smith, Boerne State-NBC-NCNB Banks, Benefit Planners. ADDITION: Original Town LOTS: #27 DATE:1887 STYLE/PERIOD:Smokehouse
BUILDER: Ludwig Fabra CONSTRUCTED OF: Native Limestone; DESCRIPTION:

HISTORY: A native of Germany, Julius Fabra (1827-1910) migrated to this area in 1854. After working as a freight hauler, he opened a meat market to serve the local farms. His son, Ludwig, (1858-1929) joined the business at the age of eighteen and constructed this smokehouse for the store in 1887. Following Ludwig's death, his son Henry operated the market until he retired in 1962. Originally a one story structure, the second story was added in 1907 with outside steps. It was the smoke house for the Fabra Meat Market located in front part of the lot. Between the store building and the smokehouse stood the family home of the FABRA Family. This house was removed by Henry and Ella Fabra to their country property to be used as a "play" cottage. It stands now as a residence in the middle of the subdivision, Fabra Oaks. In the last few years of its existence, the market building was converted into a restaurant by Tom Smith. He named his restaurant, "Smokehouse Restaurant". In the 1980's the store building was torn down to make room for the Boerne State Bank Teller windows. The Smokehouse was preserved by the Boerne State Bank and incorporated into the structure of the new bank building through the efforts of Arley Sueltenfuss, Bank president at that time. The Smokehouse was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1980.

Source: Boerne Public Library files.- November, 1999

Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page