Located west of Boerne, off Johns Rd; on property now owned by Hugo Schwope heirs
HISTORY: This building marks the site of the town of Boerne when it first began as a settlement by a group of German immigrants in 1849. These men had been with the failed Bettina Colony on the Llano River. They camped on the north side of Cibolo Creek near the present-day Boerne. While scouting the area the group found a good spring with excellent water. This is the place they chose to settle and called it "Tusculum". These original settlers were: Rudolph Carstanjen, Fritz Kramer, Christian Flach, Adam Vogt, J. Kuchler, Wilhelm Friedrich, Leopold Schultz and Phillip Zoeller
Mr. Friedrich purchased the first tract of land in that area. The 400 acre tract where the settlement was located was purchased at some time by Adam Vogt, F. Simon, Gus Bower and H. W. Schwope. The Schwope heirs own the property at the present time (2010)
There are still several old buildings left standing to remind us there was once a settlement. One of these was used as an office by a doctor, Richard Crosky, who was also a surveyor and land speculator.
Source: Perry, Garland, Historic Images of Boerne, Texas, 1982; Boerne Public Library files.
Please press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to the Main Page