|ID# 19915||ORIGINAL USE: Carpenter Shop||PRESENT USE: Restaurant||CURRENT OWNER: Steve Artale, Americana Enterprise, Inc.|
|OWNERS: Elmer Watts, Edgar Pfeiffer||ADDITION: Original Town Lot : #92||DATE: c1926 Style/Period: Commercial||HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: NO|
|BUILDER: Elmer Watts||CONSTRUCTED OF: Metal frame||CONDITION: Burned down, replaced||DESCRIPTION: Rectangular metal building with wide door on east and west.|
HISTORY: The original building came from a defunct cleaning
powder company called, BEST, on a caliche hill on the old Shumard Place south of
the town of Boerne. In about 1926 Elmer Watts bought lumber and built a cabinet
and planing shop out of that old building. He built the shop across the street
from its present location at 108 Saunders. He moved the shop intact to 109
Saunders and built his home on the 108 Saunders lot [See WATTS HOUSE]. When he
moved the shop he did not turn the building around, so he cut two new doors in
the back of the building to open on Saunders.
Edgar Pfeiffer had worked with Elmer Watts in the shop and continued when Elmer died. About 1955 Mrs. Mary Watts died leaving the shop to Edgar "Brownie" Pfeiffer. He worked in the shop until 1989.
The shop was sold but soon burned down. It was so damaged that it was entirely rebuilt. [See Picture above.] -Information from Annabelle Pfeiffer
Source: Boerne Public Library files.
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page