|OWNERS: Beseler, Magers, Laas, Lawhorn families||LOCATION: Welfare on old #9||DATE:1889; rebuilt 1916 Style/Period: Commercial store|
|BUILDER: Beseler||CONSTRUCTED OF: Frame; tin roof; 4 x 4 windows||DESCRIPTION:One story board and batten with central double door and flanking 4x4 windows; elevated rock base entry with porch roof; T-shaped with living quarters to the rear.|
HISTORY: The railroad tracks were laid in 1886 passing this rural area. This building was built in 1889 being used as the Welfare post office. By 1890 it became the local store. The building burned down and was then re-built in 1916. Before the building was re-built Mrs. Magers ran the post office from a room in the house. From the early 1920s to the 1970s, Percy and Alma Laas lived in the attached house and operated the post office and the store. In 1960 the railroad tracks were removed and the new Interstate Highway #10 by-passed Welfare. Eventually, in 1976, the post office was closed.
Source: Boerne Public Library files. Sketch courtesy of Col. Bettie Edmonds.
Please use your BACK Button to return to index.