|ID# 19871||ORIGINAL USE: Home||PRESENT USE: Commercial||CURRENT OWNER: Randy and Kellye Harris|
|OWNERS: Henry Wendler, Edwin Houston, Tom Lund||ADDITION: Original Town Lot LOTS: #29||DATE: c1860 Style/Period: Pioneer||HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: BHP|
|BUILDERS: Henry Wendler||CONSTRUCTED OF: Stone, metal roof, 6x6 windows||CONDITION: Good||DESCRIPTION: The house was a long room of stone which was added to as family expanded and doubled in size.|
HISTORY: Henry A. Wendler, a master cabinet maker, immigrated to the Boerne area in 1853 from Bielefeld, Germany. In a very short time Mr. Wendler built a one room rock house at 302 S. Main. Later he opened several businesses between Newton and Theissen Streets on the West side of S. Main. Included in these various enterprises were a large General Merchandise Store at 262 S. Main -- where the Plaza Package Store now stands; a saloon and cabinet shop between the General Store and his home; and a tin shop at 322 S. Main, where the Garden Gate antique shop was later located. In 1865 Mr. Wendler married Pauline A. Luckenbach, whose father was the founder of Luckenbach, Texas, and they raised six sons and one daughter at the 302 S. Main address, having added onto the rock house on two occasions to meet the needs of their expanding family. Two of the younger Wendler sons, Adolph and Henry, Jr. continued operating the General Store until 1928. Henry Jr. married Adele C. Luckenbach in 1911 and they raised two sons, Henry C. and C. Clifford Wendler at the old 302 S. Main home. The original rock house is behind the building shown above. Later residents of Boerne will remember this house as the real estate office of Edwin Houston.
Source: Perry, Garland A., "Historic Images of boerne, Texas, 1982", San Antonio, Econo-Print, and the files of Boerne Public Library.
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page