zoelfrost

ZOELLER-VAUGHN HOUSE
1300 S. Main, Boerne
Library File #128
ID# 24933 ORIGINAL USE: Home PRESENT USE: Office/Meeting Room CURRENT OWNER: Frost Bank
OWNERS: Fred Zoeller, Aulton Vaughn, Ted Brich, Frost Bank LOCATION: Small Survey #183 - 4 acres DATE: c1941 Style/Period: Bungalow
HISTORICAL DESIGNATION: NO
BUILDER: Fred Zoeller CONSTRUCTED OF: Rock walls; varied windows CONDITION: Fair DESCRIPTION: Two story rock house;

HISTORY: The Zoeller house at 1300 S. Main was built by Fred and Attie Zoeller in 1941 for a "home in the country". Fred Zoeller died in 1944 which changed the family plans for the house. His widow and her son, Franklin Zoeller, moved to San Marcos where both attended college. The grocery store which Fred had operated in the Joe Vogt Building was sold to Max and Laura Belle Theis. Mrs Zoeller returned to Boerne when she finished college. She taught in the Boerne Schools for many years before retiring.

The "country home" was sold to a brother of Fred, Otto Zoeller. He and his wife Eliza, their daughter Frances and son-in-law Elmer C. Blaha, bought the home and eight acres in the late 1940's. Otto was the famous self-taught musician who directed the Boerne High School band and helped keep the Village Band or Boerne Brass band going after WWII. He later directed the Breckenridge High School Band in San Antonio. He was also director at Jefferson, Main Avenue and the National Guard Band. Ironically, Mr. Zoeller, a native of Boerne, never finished high school.

The Otto Zoellers lived at the Zoeller place for approximately two years before selling it to Dr. F. H. Kliefoth and his wife, Winifred in Dec. 1950. Dr. Kliefoth died in 1954, and his wife sold the property to Aulton and Ann Vaughn, June, 1955.

The Vaughn's lived at the Zoeller place until August, 1961 when the property was sold to Ted and Verna S. Brich. It was owned by the Brich family until it was sold to a group of investors in 1981. The house and some acreage was acquired by the First National Bank the same year. The bank renovated and refurbished the house to make it available to the community as a community service center.

Source: Boerne Public Library files.

Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page