Bandera County TXGenWeb
Religion in Bandera County,
Bandera Churches, & their History

Please send in photographs of Bandera County Churches,
church groups, picnics, historical information,
lists of members, pastors biographical, etc.

Medina Methodist Church
Homepage



MORMONS IN BANDERA COUNTY, TEXAS



Bandera Churches
(In Town)

Bandera United Methodist Church
11th & Hackberry St.
Historic Marker
"Built 1880 by members under leadership of B.F. Langford, Sr. Gothic architecture. Hand-cut limestone, with oak timbers. Though enlarged and remodeled, retains original charm. Rev. John Devilbiss (who helped found first Protestant church in San Antonio) held services here 1861. Church organized 187 by Rev. A.J. Potter; charter members included Rugh, Langford, Stevens Families. Daniel Rugh organized first Sunday school, April 18, 1869. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967."
Information from the State Historical Commission


Saint Christopher's Episcopal Church
408 SH 173 North
The Episcopal Cemetery is located next door to this church.


Grace Lutheran Church
State Highway 173 North
Bandera City Cemetery is located across the street from this church


First Baptist Church of Bandera
1300 Pecan Street


Bandera Church of Christ
1404 Sycamore Street


St. Stanislaus Catholic Church
Located at , 300 S 7th Street in Bandera
Built 1876 for the Polish settlers . 
1855 second oldest Polish parish in the U.S.

Historic Marker

"Polish settlers, who came to Bandera in 1885, built this convent and Catholic school in 1874. All classes, except religion and music, were moved in 1882 to a nearby frame school building. In 1922 a second story was added to the native limestone convent, in which the Sisters lived until a new residence was erected in 1963. The parish school was closed in 1968. Restored in 1971, this structure is now a museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1975."

(The two story building is now Parish Hall)


Churches around the county


POLLY'S CHAPEL

From Bandera, take SH 16 about 8 miles northeast to Privilege Creek Bridge.
Go north on County Road about 3 miles to Polly's Chapel.
Polly's Cemetery is across the road from the chapel.

More about Rodriquez and the Polly's Chapel
 

Hill Country Chapel
Located in Pipe Creek, Texas

 

Western Heritage Cowboy Church
Located in Pipe Creek, Texas

 

This page is maintained by Donna Schulte Loth - 2009
If you find any of the Bandera County TXGenWeb
links inoperable, please send me a message.