Old Texas Ranger Trail
Marker across from courthouse.
This winding, 100-mile trail from San
Antonio to Kerrville was, during the 19th century, a strategic patrol road
traveled by Texas Rangers to protect the surrounding area from hostile
Indian attacks. During uneasy pioneer days roads such as this, regularly
scouted by Rangers, helped promote early white settlement by strengthening
frontier defense. Because Bandera was located midway on the trail and because
Bandera Pass, 10 miles north, frequently harbored Indian ambushers, the
town became a focal point for Ranger activities along the road. Perhaps
the best-known battle to occur on the old route happened in Bandera Pass
in the spring of 1841. At that time a company of 40 Texas Rangers, under
intrepid Indian fighter Capt. "Jack" Hays, was on a scouting mission in
the Guadalupe Mountains. Halfway through the pass, they were suddenly attacked
by several hundred wild Comanches who lay hidden in the brush and behind
boulders in the narrow gorge. A bloody fight ensued, much of it hand-to-hand
combat with Bowie knives; but after their chief was slain, the Indians
withdrew and finally escaped. Thus the Rangers and this trail helped remove
the Indian menace and open the frontier across Texas. (1968)
From Bandera, take FM 689 SE about
1 mile to Wharton's Dock Rd. & follow east about 2 miles to San Julian
Creek. (Pass Flying L. Ranch)
"Settled 1867 by former New Yorker, Judge
Edward M. Ross, who had fought in Mexican war, then served in 1850's at
Camp Verde, army's camel post near Bandera. House is hand-cut native stone.
Daughter Kate Ross, wife of Ebenezer Buck, of a prominent pioneer family,
inherited ranch in 1901. Offering fine foods and hospitality, the Bucks
in 1920 established this as Bandera's first guest ranch, continuing it
until their deaths in 1941. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966."
From Bandera, take FM 3240 about 8
miles northwest to Ranch entrance, south side of road, just before junction
with FM 2828.
"Built for Fabian L. Hicks, a county official
and Texas Ranger who styled it after his family home in North Carolina.
Building is stone and cypress wood off ranch. Hardware came by ox wagon
from San Antonio. This replaced log cabin family occupied in 1855. Recorded
Texas Historic Landmark, 1965."