Considerable space has been given in this book to relate the early
happenings of the communities of Blanconia, Clareville, Mineral
City, Normanna, Papalote, Pawnee, Pettus, Skidmore and Tuleta, not
only because they were sizable villages, but also because they
played vital parts in the early development of Bee County. At one
time, Papalote and Mineral were approximately as large,
population‑wise, as Beeville, the county seat.
However. there were other settlements, not as large but quite
important because of the agricultural and ranching interests of the
people who established homes there, that must be remembered. Some of
those hamlets no longer exist, and those that survived have been
reduced in size, but during the pioneer days each settlement
contributed its share to the economical development of the county as
With this in perspective, the sixteen other hamlets will be reviewed
briefly, in alphabetical order rather than in historical sequence,
so that the progress of the county as a whole will be correctly
The first settlers in the vicinity now known as Cadiz were Ben
Atkins, R. C. Eeds, Ben Fleming, William Cryer, Duncan Turner, G. M.
Garner, and John Atkins, around 1870. Four years later the McCollom
family moved there. Mr. Feds operated a grocery store. School
teachers were Julia Judd and Meda McHenry. The Rev. Amos Barber
organized a Baptist Church there in 1877 and became its first
pastor. In later years his grandson, the Rev. Dr. Carroll Jones, was
pastor of the church for twenty‑five years. Present pastor is the
Rev. R. C. Jeanes. Mr. Eeds sold his grocery store in 1904 to H. V.
Howard. who named the village Cadiz in honor of his former home in
Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Jim Sullivan operated a general merchandise store
there for a number of years. When they sold out they settled in
George West, where they resided until they died. Mrs. Sullivan, the
former Mary Mikeska, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Mikeska Sr.,
pioneer settlers of Live Oak County, was the author of several
books. In 1939 Cadiz supported a three‑teacher school, a grocery
store, gin, and service station. Now the only remnant of the
once‑active hamlet is the Cadiz Baptist Church.
In the northern part of Bee County there was a settlement of farmers
and ranchers called Caesar which started in the early 1890s. Today
all that remains is the name. but at one time there was a post
office, a store, a gin, and a Baptist Church. (The church also
served the people of nearby Monteola.) Early settlers included the
families of J. Usury, George Livingston, Robert Miller, George M.
Slaughter, Jepthia W. Wolfe, the Pullins, and R. L. Peevy. Jepthia
Wolfe was the father of Anne Wolfe (who married Austin Maley). Anne
was born in Caesar, but the family moved to the Wolfe settlement
when she was two years old. Her father was a trustee of the Wolfe
school. The land of the Caesar area is now used for cattle grazing
and some flax and grain crops are grown. The cemetery has had little
care during recent years.
The village of Candlish was laid out by W. J. Candlish in 1909. The
location was eleven miles east of Beeville, and embraced three
communities of olden days‑Medio Hill, Robinson, and Cummingsville. A
common school district was created, and Candlish was voting Precinct
Number Thirteen. W. D. H. Saunders operated a store during the early
days. The late C. J. (Blackie) Valenta lived there many years and
served several terms as county commissioner for the Blanconia‑Candlish
area. After the store and school were closed, the village was
reduced to a settlement of farmers and ranchers.
The Central community is located seven miles south of Beeville and
is halfway between Beeville and Olmos. The earliest settlers were
Henry T. Clare and his sons, John I., P. S. (Bud), Thomas, Gus,
Hillery, and Thomas, Elzy Clare, James B. Madray, Henderson Allsup,
Tom Allsup, L. C. Ross, Martin Reed, Rev. R. B. Thames, W. M.
Bailey, and Captain D. A. T. Walfon. In later years came Charles
Sugarek, Valentine Kubala, Stephen Kubala, John Hall, C. B. Barton,
Charles Peter, August Holub, Filbert Mueller, and Gus Luthringer.
Central is a farming community and some of the most progressive
agriculturalists in Bee County grow grain, flax, broomcorn and
cotton there. The schoolhouse that was the educational center for
the children in this area for a number of years has been converted
info a community center, where dances and parties are held. The
children now attend Beeville public schools. The big annual event is
a Fourth of July barbecue, followed by a dance at night.
In 1826, Jeremiah O'Toole rode horseback from New York to the
Aransas Creek after he had heard that Irishmen could get land grants
from the Mexican government. He was accompanied by his son‑in-law,
James O'Reilly. Later Mr. O'Toole's wife and his brother, Dominique,
and the latter's children, Ellen, Martin, Michael, and John, *joined
him. They built a log house there. Ellen married John Corrigan, and
the settlement was named in honor of the latter. Mrs. Corrigan
donated the Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church in 187 1. The
cemetery for the community still exists and is located on the Claude
Heard Ranch. Other early settlers included D. S. Page and his wife
(the latter was a practical physician and administered to the sick
people of the area), D. C. Grover. William Leahy and his son, Phil,
Hugh J. O'Reilly, B. F. Burris, Jack Barry, P. F. Latting, William
Kennedy, D. R. May, Nicholas Dunn, John Hynes. Phil Welder, and
Jerry and Michael Corrigan.
DEAF SMITH: Miss Patti Reagan, county school superintendent in 1920,
suggested the name Deaf Smith for Common School District Ten, which
was created by an act of the Legislature when L. W. Bell was head of
the county schools. She named if in memory of a Texas Revolution
hero, Erastus (Deaf) Smith, captain of a company in the war with
Mexico. The settlement was located near the Medio Creek area east of
town. This is now a farm and ranch section of Bee County, but at one
time it was a lively neighborhood.
There are only two families residing in the once‑active community of
Monteola, about halfway between TuIsita and Pawnee Leslie Moses, son
of Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Moses, and W. A. (Bill) Dobrilla, son of Mr.
and Mrs. Anthony Dobrilla. During the late 1870s, George Cooke and
his daughters, Liza Jane and Eleanor, nafives of England, arrived
and Mr. Cooke purchased 3100 acres of farm land. In 1890 he built a
gin, which was operated until 1926. Liza Jane married Joshua Moses
and her sister, Eleanor, married Joshua's brother. Monroe Moses. The
Moses brothers were old‑time fiddlers and usually were awarded first
prize at the annual old‑fiddlers' contest at the Bee County Fair in
Beeville. Liza Jane Moses, although not a medical doctor, had some
kind of diploma which authorized her to deliver babies and care for
sick people who were afflicted with minor maladies, and she was an
expert at treating patients for rattlesnake bites. She made the
rounds in her buggy. Also she operated a store at Monteola and one
at Pawnee, but the latter business was destroyed by fire in 1941.
She died in July 1951 and Joshua Moses passed away a month later. In
1911, the Rev. G. H. M. Wilson preached for the people of the
community in the Baptist Church. Besides those mentioned, early
settlers included the families of August Schultz, Fred Schroeder,
Jim Pullin, J. M. Lynch, Hiram Chandler, Hubert Cox, G. B.
Livingston, Andy Maye. D. W. Cox, George Williams, Nixon Lynch, and
others. Later came Mr. and Mrs. Dan DeLeon, parents of Mrs. John
(Virginia) Bell of Beeville, who spent part of her girlhood in that
community. Mrs. William (Mildred) Siddon of Beeville, daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Moses, is a native of Monteola and spent her
girlhood days there. Today the land of the area is used for
livestock grazing, and a considerable amount of flax and grain crops
Los Olmos, Spanish for ''The Elm Trees,'' was the original name for
the village located on Olmos Creek in the southern part of Bee
County. Mrs. J. A. Sliva, in a story in the Bee‑Picayune's
Centennial edition, October 16, 1958, said the first settlers
purchasing land there were Barton, Brown, Dudek. Hollas and Taylor,
but they stayed only a short while. They were followed by the
families of Vrana, Staf, Sugarek, Bohac, Struhal, Sliva. Hanus,
Jancha, Huble, Machacek. Bosak, Valek. Kopecky, Hybner, Range, Duge,
Wadsworth, Riggs, Sumbera, Trlica, Doubrava, Spiekermann, Byer.
Krupa, Afzenhofer. Vollmering, and Foifik. In 1891 a Catholic Church
was built on a 10‑acre plot donated by Mr. Dudek. Part of the land
was used for a cemetery. For many years the community supported a
school, but after if was consolidated with the Skidmore‑Tynan school
system, the building was turned over to the Olmos Community Club,
where social events are held periodically. The old schoolhouse also
is the meeting place for the S.P.J.S.T. and R.V.O.S. organizations.
Julius Hrdina's Orchestra, comprised of Julius and Bill Hrdina, Emil
Hanus, Eddie Sliva, Anton Motal, Charles and Eddie Doubrava, and
Edwin Wallek, played for many enterfainments in the historic old
structure. Most of the people living in the community are farmers of
Czechoslovakian descent, and they have some of the most progressive
farms and ranches in Bee County.
Shortly after the turn of the century the Wangeman Ranch was divided
into small tracts and sold, mostly to people from Northeastern and
Eastern States who were enthused over the idea that Bee County had
climate and soil that would produce citrus fruits, particularly
oranges. The name selected for the village was Orangedale, located
five miles west of Beeville on the road to Mineral. Around 1906 the
settlers began to arrive, including W. C. Stephenson, father of Mrs.
Winifred Goodwin of the Lapara community. He was a man of many
talents, including acting, and could recite Shakespeare by the hour.
He and Fritz Heldenfels formed an architectural firm and drew the
plans for the present Bee County Courthouse. (This was after the
orange fever subsided!) Other newcomers included Robert Utter, S. W.
Ford (who wrote articles for the Picayune under the nom de plume
Silas Wright), W. S. Barber, Robert Miller, D. E. Six, Will Taylor,
Harry Whiting, Wallis Blakely, E. Townsend, T. E. Pittman, H. E.
Lockwood, and others. J. J. K*Kirkpatrick opened a store. And there
were Will Henry. Tom Washburn, R. A. Ivey, the Eafcns, Fudges,
Ballards, and West families. Friendship Baptist Church was built
about two miles west of the settlement near where the old Carter
Mill stood and marked the seven‑mile post on the road to Mineral. It
is still the house of worship for the many families of farmers and
ranchers in the area. The pastor is Rev. John W. Tisdale.
A community called Poesta developed during the last decade of the
nineteenth century, and it was located near Poesta Creek on the
right side of the road to Refugio, about four miles east of
Beeville. By 1894 they had a school there. which continued in
operation until the middle 1930s. The old schoolhouse is now being
used by the Fleet Reserve Club. Among the early settlers were Tom
Langston, Mrs. Kate Kurtz, Ben Hatcher, Anton Juenger, J. M. Dorsey,
and Van Pelt.
The John Quincy Ranch seven miles east of Beeville on the left side
of the road to Refugio was purchased by D. J. Swickheimer for
subdivision in 1891. The Enterprise Land & Colonization Company
developed the project, selling tracts of land to people from Kansas
and other states. A village was started in 1892, with a store, post
office, a drug store, a physician (Dr. C. B. Palmer), and a number
of residences. When I was a small child my Grandfather Ezell and I
went to the Medio to fish on Saturdays. As we passed the remains of
the Quincy settlement we saw a chimney standing in the midst of
charred lumber. Grandpa fold me that a fire destroyed the village of
Quincy. John J. O'Brien and his son, John Morgan O'Brien, now own
the 10,500‑acre ranch that once gave promise of becoming a
substantial town. In the April 18, 1898, issue of the Bee Mr.
McCurdy wrote: ''Ed C. Carroll, popularly known to his friends as
the mayor of Quincy, was in town Sunday to pay his Easter
Richland, which exists only as a memory in the minds of oldtimers,
was located on Salt Branch (creek), and was first called Salt Branch
community. C. H. Maley and John Weed and their families moved there
from Blanconia in 1870. William Massengale operated a store in his
home. Other settlers included Craig Uzzell, Zak Ballard, Robert
Custer, Charles Angermiller, John Curry, John Stewart, and others.
There was a store and a Methodist Church in 1940, but these no
Sid Smith, a native Bee Countian who had lived in other parts of
Texas for a few years, purchased ranch land four miles east of Cadiz
in 1899 and developed the place, which has since that time been
called the Sid Smith Ranch. ''Mr. Sid,'' as he is called by his
friends, celebrated his ninety‑ninth birthday anniversary on March
4, 1973. He is a pioneer cattleman and grew up with the county.
Seeing the need for the education of many Mexican children in his
neighborhood, Mr. Smith built a schoolhouse and paid a teacher to
instruct them for a number of years. Finally, the county school
system made a common school district of the area. In later years if
was consolidated with the Beeville Independent School District.
The town of Tynan. seven miles south of Skidmore on the highway to
Mathis and the Southern Pacific Railroad branch from Skidmore to
Alice and the Rio Grande Valley. is made up of farmers and business
people, and the area produces more cotton than any other part of Bee
County of comparable size. Legally there were two Tynans, the
northeast side known as Welder Tynan (from the Welder Ranch) and
Beasley Tynan. taken from the Beasley Ranch, on the south side. In
1903, J. C. Beasley drew a plat of the Beasley side, and It was out
of this plat that A. W. Steinmeyer bought from Mr. Beasley some land
and erected the first business in Beasley Tynan in 1912. A Mr.
Braden built a cotton gin there the same year, which later was owned
by Blaschke and Beyer of Skidmore. In 1916 the first gin burned and
a group of cotton growers organized the Tynan Gin Co. and erected a
new gin. Farmers and business people came to the community from
Karnes, Lavaca and Guadalupe Counties during the early 1900s. Edgar
Steinmeyer established the Bank of Tynan in 1915, which served the
people of that area until the depression. If was closed in 1935. The
fen‑grade school was consolidated with the Skidmore school system
during the late 1940s to form the Skidmore‑Tynan School District.
The town has three churches: Peace United Church of Christ, Rev. F.
J. Mehrtens, pastor; Saint James Lutheran Church, Rev. James K.
Jensen, pastor, and Saint Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Rev. L. H.
Kelly, pastor. There are around two hundred residents in the Tynan
Small tracts of land that were subdivisions of Viggo Kohler's Number
Seven Pasture were settled by farmers and ranchers shortly after the
dawn of the Twentieth Century, and they named the community that
ensued Viggo. The first to arrive were the Fentons, the Sikes, and
the Owings. Then came George Miller from Canada. He was the father
of John Miller, judge of the Thirty‑sixth District Court and father
of Mrs. William B. Moser of Beeville. Others who established homes
in the hamlet four miles west of Beeville on the Viggo Road were the
families of August Schultz, W. H. Thomas, Frederick Heinsohn, L. B.
Williamson, A. D. Cude, C. E. Culpepper, George Searcy, Charles
Searcy, S. B. Hardy, Chris Rothlisberger, Felix Young, William P.
Richardson, Grady Harrison Sr., and perhaps others. Mr. Schultz
donated land for a schoolhouse, which was used for social and church
acclivities as well as for a public school. The common school
district finally became consolidated with the Beeville public
A railroad switch six miles south of Beeville was named in honor of
Mrs. Eugenia McGloin, who donated five acres of land for a rail.
road station. Mrs. McGloin built a store, a schoolhouse and a
Catholic Chapel on her ranch, but these buildings have been moved
away. A state historical marker has been placed there.