Lodges and fraternal organizations and their teachings have
exercised a beneficent influence upon the people of Bee County since
the county was organized in 1858.
The Masons were the first to receive a charter in Beeville. This was
Later followed the Knights of Honor, Knights of Pythias, Pratorians,
Loyal Order of Moose, Woodmen of the World, Maccabees, Knights of
Columbus, and Odd Fellows.
Several of these demised a number of years ago. Following are
histories of the fraternities that are still active:
BEEVILLE LODGE NO. 261, A.F.&A.M.
The history of Beeville Lodge No. 261, Ancient Free and Accepted
Masons, is 'Intermingled with 'The annals of Bee County, since the
lodge was granted a dispensation to organize on September 21, 1860,
three years after Bee County was created by an Act of the Texas
John B. McMahon was Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Texas, and
James Wilson was the first Worshipful Master of the local
constituent body. Other officers for the first year were: Robert
Graham, Senior Warden; D. S. Page, Junior Warclen; R. H. Allsup,
Treasurer; G. W. McClana. han???, Secretary; C. B. Palmer, Senior
Deacon; J. H. Allsup, Junior Deacon, and W. W. Arnold, Tiler.
Beeville Masons petitioned Refugio, Lodge to sponsor the local group
in organizational plans. The plea was signed by James Wilson, G. W.
McClanahan, T. H. Allsup, W. W. Arnett, C. B. Palmer, Robert Graham.
R. H. Allsup, J. B. Madray, D. S. Page, William Miller, and G. D.
Gray. These men became the charter members.
The lodge worked under dispensation until the meeting of the Grand
Lodge in the fall of 1861, when the charter was granted.
In 1860, the Commissioners Court erected a courthouse on the lot
where the buildings of Southwest Land Title Co. and McCarty,
Millikin & Green, Accountants, now stand, immediately south of the
Commercial National Bank.
The court granted the Masons the privilege of building a second
story to the structure, which was used as a lodge room. The first
meeting in the new Temple was held on Saturday, December 15, 1860,
which was the second meeting of the members who were working under
dispensation. The first meeting was held on the ground floor of the
At the meeting on March 16, 1861, C. C. Jones received the Degree of
Master Mason to become the first candidate to have the highest
degree of the Blue Lodge conferred by Beeville Masonic Lodge. That
same night J. N. Lee also was ''raised.''
In 1878 Bee County built a two‑story frame Courthouse on the block
across the street from the old Courthouse and Lodge Temple. on the
location that the present Courthouse occupies. County officials
moved into the new frame structure, built by Viggo Kohler, on May
12, 1879. The lodge purchased the lower floor of the old Courthouse
and the lot on which it stood from the county in February 1882 for
The members of the fraternity continued to meet there until the
night of May 19, 1888, when the building was destroyed by fire of
L. F. Roberts, a member of the lodge, owned the McClanahan Building
on the east side of the Courthouse Square. and Invited the Masons to
meet on the second floor of the building, free of any charge, until
they could build a new Temple. (The McClanahan Building in later
years was purchased by the Bee County Historical Society and moved
to county property between the County Jail and the Bee County Public
Library, facing Corpus Christi Street, where the society maintains
The lodge continued to meet in Mr. Roberts' building until their new
Temple was erected and dedicated. The San Antonio & Aransas Pass
Railroad Co. donated a lot at the corner of Washington and Hefferman
Streets to the local lodge, and a two‑story brick structure was
erected, which is still the meeting place of the members.
The cornerstone for the Temple was leveled on December 27, 1890, at
one o'clock in the afternoon. Members of lodges in Corpus Christi,
Rockport, Refugio, Helena, Cuero, Middletown, Goliad, La Vernia, and
Floresville were invited to attend the ceremony. The Temple was
dedicated on the third Saturday in May 1891.
On February 1, 1904, a resolution by Sam Mitchell and 0. H.
Carmichael was passed providing ''that the stated meetings of this
lodge shall be held on Saturday at 8 p.m. on or before the full moon
of each month ,
instead of the third Saturday night as had been the rule since the
lodge was established. This was done to provide moonlight for the
members who traveled in buggies and on horseback to attend meetings.
The Courthouse, built in 1878, was destroyed by fire on the night of
January 15, 191 1. Fritz Heidenfels, a member of the Lodge, and W.
C. Stephenson were the architects who drew the plans for the present
Courthouse, and on April 8, 1911, Beeville Masons, under the
authority of the Commissioners Court and the Grand Lodge of Texas,
leveled the cornerstone for the structure. The following were
appointed to serve as proxies for Grand Lodge Officers: Carl
Heldenfels, as Grand Master‑, D. E. Beedy, as Grand Senior Warden;
John H. Pittman, as Grand Junior Warden; W. M. Smith, as Grand
Treasurer; A. V. Schvab, as Grand Secretary; J. Wilse Barclay, as
Grand Senior Deacon; Roy L. Fenner, as Grand Junior Deacon; H. M.
Dailey, as Grand Senior Steward; Dan Cryer, as Grand Junior Steward;
Robert A. Ezell, as Grand Tiler, and J. J. Carmichael, as Grand
Marshal. Joe F. Webb, as Grand Orator, delivered the address.
In 1915, the Temple was closed from November through January 1916
for a remodeling job when D. E. Beedy was Worshipful Master. During
the three‑month period, the Lodge met in the Courthouse under
dispensation from Jewell P. Lightfoot, Grand Master. but no degrees
were allowed to be conferred until the Temple was completed.
In 1916, Jesse A. Chase, Carl Heldenfels and H. S. Bonham, named a
committee to revise the by‑laws of the Lodge, submitted Their
proposals, which were adopted, with several changes, on October 7,
1916. The meeting dates were changed from the Saturday on or before
the full moon to the first and third Saturdays of each month. (In
1920 the meeting nights were changed to the first and third
After the completion of the remodeling work, the lower floor of the
building was leased to a moving picture man who established the
Mission Theater. This later was sold to A. F. Rees and still later
to Hall Industries, which changed the name to Rex Theater. After the
Halls gave up their lease in about 1960, the space was leased to
Public Finance Corporation. present occupants.
Again acting under the authority of the Grand Lodge, Beeville Masons
leveled the cornerstone for Memorial Hospital in Beeville in 1963,
and performed the same service for the Administration Building of
Bee County College in 1966.
Beeville Masonic Lodge has been in continuous operation for one
hundred thirteen years.
Present officers of the lodge are: Ray Hicks, Worshipful Master‑,
Leroy Hadwin, Senior Warden; Glenn Hiff, Junior Warden; Dave
Earnest. Senior Deacon; Allen Wilhite, Junior Deacon; Henry
Alexander, Treasurer; William M. Routh, Secretary; William L. Erwin,
Tiler; Carl White, Senior Steward; George Richardson, Junior
Steward, and Murrell Spurlock, Donald Bonifay. and Tom Yeoman,
Trustees. Earl Klett is Chaplain.
The past‑worshipful masters of the lodge are as follows:
Under Dispensation 1860, James Wilson; 1861, James Wilson‑, 1862, R.
H. Allsup; 1863. R. H. Allsup; 1864. James Wilson‑, 1865, James
Wilson; 1866, J. B. Madray; 1867, James Wilson; 1868, G. A.
James Wilson; 1870, J. J. Croft; 1871, James Wilson; 1872, James
Wilson*. 1873, H. W. Wilson; 1874, H. W. Wilson; 1875, H. W.
Wilson‑, 1876, H. W. Wilson‑, 1877, H. W. Wilson; 1878, H. W.
Wilson; 1879, H. W. Wilson; 1880, H. W. Wilson; 1881, R. W. Archer;
1882, W. P. McGrew‑, 1883, R. W. Archer‑, 1884, H. W. Hunter‑, 1885,
John W. Cook‑, 1886, W. M. Smith: 1887, John C. Beasley; 1888, J. 0.
Taylor; 1889, J. 0. Taylor‑, 1890, John W. Flournoy; 1891, W. S.
Howard; 1892, John W. Flournoy‑, 1893, J. J. Carmichael; 1894, Dr.
L. E. Parr; 1895, A. J. Scott; 1896, T. C. Williams; 1897, John W.
Cook; 1898, H. E. Rathbone‑,
1899, E. Lawley; 1900, F. M. Ellis Jr.; 1901, J. J. Carmichael‑,
1902, 0. H. Carmichael; 1903, John W. Flournoy; 1904, Sam C.
Mitchell; 1905, Robert A. Ezell; 1906, Carl A. Heldenfels; 1907,
Carl A. Heldenfels‑, 1908, W. A. Lee‑, 1909, Charles Dower; 19 10,
John Wilson; 1911, D. H. Hardeman‑, 1912, C. E. Williamson; 1913,
Charles B. Sheldon', 1914, R. H. Gillett 1915, D E. Beedy; 1916,
Jesse A. Chase; 1917, Jesse A. Chase‑, 1918, Henry L. Atkinson;
1919, A. C. Appleby‑, 1920, Paul Mueller; 192 1, R. L. Cox‑, 1922,
J. M. Range; 1923, G. S. Thompson‑, 1924, W. G. Gayle‑, 1925, Truman
M. Gill; 1926, Milton Kohne; 1927, G. S. Thompson; 1928, R. L. Cox*,
1929, R. W. Rhea; 1930, J. M. Range; 193 1, J. P. Deer; 1932, R. A.
Hall', 1933, Camp Ezell; 1934, G. S. Thompson; 1935, Irl F. Cherry;
1936, V. E. Kessler;
1937, Irvin N. Boothe; 1938, Fred V. Thomas; 1939, E. D. Miller;
1940, C. C. Dobson; 1941, Arthur Mabray; 1942, Eric L. Archer; 1943,
Denver C. Roberts; 1944, Fred V. Thomas; 1945, E. D. Miller; 1946,
B. W. Kingrea; 1947, B. J. Cornett; 1948, Chester Amfhor‑, 1949,
Alva J. Bryan; 1950, R. A. Gause; 1951, Willie H. Fizer‑, 1952,
Henry Alexander; 1953, David C. Roberts‑, 1954, Sid Hirst; 1955,
Leonard R. Briggs; 1956, Charles Reynolds; 1957, Ben M. Yeats; 1958,
Earl H. Kleff‑, 1959, Glenn H. Tate‑, 1960, Hoyt J. Stover‑, 1961,
William M. Routh; 1962, Donald A. Bonifay‑, 1963, William L.
Golding; 1964, Murrel Spurlock‑, 1965, C. B. Denwood'. 1966, John H.
Grohn Jr.‑, 1967, Walter Boenig‑, 1968, Jerome H. Boenig; 1969, Hugh
Roble; 1970, Ross Sommerville; 1971, Tom Yeoman‑, 197Z Ray Hicks.
The following local Masons have served as District Deputy Grand
Master: T. H. Allsup, J. J. Carmichael, Carl Heldenfels, Henry L.
Atkinson, Jesse A. Chase, Paul Mueller, J. P. Deer, Arthur Mabray,
Fred V. Thomas, A. C. Wheeler. Chester Amthor. Henry Alexander, Camp
Ezell, William M. Routh, Donald Bonifay, and John H. Grohn Jr.
Three members of Beeville Masonic Lodge were honored by the Supreme
Council Thirty‑third Degree of Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of
Freemasonry with the rank and decoration of Knight Commander of the
Court of Honor for outstanding work for Masonry and for the
community: The Rev. Everett Y. Seale, Jack Everman, and Camp Ezell.
The Rev. Mr. Seale was a member of the Red Cross of Constantine, a
Masonic organization with limited membership in each chapter.
Col. Carr Kitchen (U.S. Army Ref.) and Mrs. Kitchen have moved to
Beeville and Col. Kitchen has affiliated with Beeville Masonic
Lodge. He is the only Mason in Bee County who has been coroneted as
a Thirty‑third Degree Scotch Rite Mason.
The late Walter Boenig, a leader in the York Rite of Freemasonry,
was honored by the Grand Encampment with the title of Knights
Templar Cross of Honor for ''exceptional and meritorious service
rendered by the recipient far beyond the call of duty.'' Also he was
a member of the Committee on Work Tor the Grand Chapter and Grand
Council of Texas. Eight local Masons served as Mayor of Beeville: A.
C. Jones, B. P. Stephenson, C. E. Williamson, J. T. Ballard, Ellis
M. Quinn, Douglas Hermes, Paul Schulz, and Malcolm M. Slay.
Four other organizations that have a relationship to Freemasonry
meet in the Masonic Temple. They are:
BEEVILLE CHAPTER NO. 466, R.A.M.
Beeville Chapter No. 466, Royal Arch Masons, meets on the second and
fourth Monday nights of each month at 7:30. Julious L. Harris is
High Priest and Donald Bonifay is Secretary. A member must be a
Master Mason in good standing.
BEEVILLE COUNCIL NO. 381, R&SM
Beeville Council No. 381, Royal and Select Masters, meets
immediately following the session of the R.A.M. Chapter. John 0.
Hudman is Thrice Illustrious Master and Donald Bonifay is Recorder.
Membership in the Council also requires membership in the Blue
BEEVILLE CHAPTER NO. 422, O.E.S.
Beeville Chapter No 422, Order of the Eastern Star, meets every
second and fourth Tuesday in each month at 7:30 p.m. Mrs. Iona
Hester is Worthy Matron and Mrs. Mildred Schimming is Secretary.
Master Masons are eligible for membership, and a woman must be a
wife, widow, mother, sister, or daughter of a Master Mason.
Beeville Chapter received its charter on October 14, 1908. Mrs.
Maggie Mitchell was the first Worthy Matrm Carl A. Heldenfels was
Worthy Patron; and Mrs. Delia E. Lott, Associate Matron.
The charter members were: Mrs. Ella F. Carmichael, Mrs. Susie
Carmichael, Miss Eunice Carmichael, Mrs. Viola Dower, Miss Sallie
Ezell, Miss Ollie Lee, Mrs. Delia E. Lott. Miss Annie Michot, Miss
Rosabelle Michot, Mrs. Annie Miller, Mrs. Maggie Mitchell, Mrs.
Irene Seymour, 0. H. Carmichael, Charles Dower, R. A. Ezell, Carl A.
Heldenfels, J. M. Lott, Sam C. Mitchell, J. W. Ray, and Dr. B. F.
The Past‑Worthy Matrons of the Chapter are: 1908, Mrs. Maggie
Mitchell; 1909, Miss Ollie Lee‑, 19 10, Mrs. Irene Seymour: 1911,
Miss Minnie Bell; 1912, Miss Annie Michot: 1913, Mrs. Kafie Lacks;
1914, Miss Rosabelle Michott 1915, Mrs. Aline Faupel; 1916, Mrs.
Aline Faupel; 1917, Mrs. Sallie McNeill; 1918, Mrs. Velma Brown;
1919, Mrs. Annie Algea‑, 1920, Mrs. Annie Algea; 192i, Mrs. Mary
Bond; 1922, Mrs. Mary Bond‑, 1923, Mrs. Mina Cherry; 1924, Mrs.
Roxye Taylor; 1925, Mrs. Sudle Scoff; 1926, Mrs. Lela Sikes; 1927,
Mrs. Minnie Franklin', 1928, Mrs. Lessie Troy‑, 1929, Miss Willie
Bell; 1930, Mrs. Mary Rhea; 1931, Mrs. Virgie Boothe; 1932, Miss
Mabel Hancock; 1933, Mrs. Emma Applewhite; 1934, Mrs. Mary Long;
1935, Mrs. Beatrice Archer; 1936, Mrs. Gladys Skinner; 1937, Mrs.
Fannie Hancocl<7 1938, Mrs. Beatrice Mabray*, 1939, Mrs. Alma
Stephenson; 1940, Mrs. Ella Lewls; 1941, Mrs. Edna Hawkins;
1942, Mrs. Lucille Ennis; 1943, Mrs. Laura Bray', 1944, Mrs. Alma
Knight, 1945, Mrs. Hetty Jean Nelson; 1946, Mrs. Margaret Chapman‑,
1947, Mrs. Irene Thomas; 1948, Mrs. Edith Stanley; 1949, Mrs.
Margaret Davies; 1950, Mrs. Ulna Amthor; 1951, Mrs. Frances Hicks‑,
1952, Mrs. Lillie Belle Sommerville; 1953, Mrs. Minnie McGilvray;
1954, Mrs. Inez Stuart; 1955. Mrs. Mildred Malone; 1956, Mrs. Ruth
Collier; 1957, Mrs. Catherine Athey; 1958, Mrs. Evelyn Box; 1959,
Mrs. Willa Brown; 1960, Mrs. Sadie Lee Wise; 1961, Mrs. Marilyn
Caffall; 1962, Mrs. Mildred Shinn; 1963, Mrs. Lee Bonifay; 1964,
Mrs. Faye Gossett‑, 1965, Mrs. Dorothy Hicks; 1966, Mrs. Dorothy
White: 1967, Mrs. Cubie Kurtz‑, 1968, Mrs. Mildred Schimming; 1969,
Mrs. Dorothy Hicks‑, 1970, Mrs. Faye Gossett,‑ 1971, Mrs. Farina
May; 1972, Mrs. Iona Hester.
ORDER OF RAINBOW FOR GIRLS ASSEMBLY
The national Order of Rainbow for Girls was organized in April 1922,
and Beeville Assembly No. 6 received its charter on December 8,
1922. The Supreme Assembly, ''mother assembly of the world of the
Order of Rainbow for Girls for all nations of the world,'' has its
see at McAlester, Okla.
Josephine Bond was the first Worthy Adviser and her mother. Mrs.
Ernest Bond, was the first Mother Adviser. Others who served as
Mother Adviser were: Mrs. Peggy Davies, Mrs. Beatrice Mabray, Mrs.
Minnie McGilvray, Mrs. Cora Powell, Mrs. Lillie Bell Sommerville,
and Mrs. Jean Thomas. (The latter is the incumbent.)
Charter members were: Dorothy Clough, Eleanor Pressy, Martha Teas.
Nannie Mabel Sims, Nettie Hatcher, Evelyn Springfield. Mattie
Malone. Catherine Lyne, Willie Mae Neal, Marye Cox, Hazel Brown,
EIna Griffin, Ruby Jones, Josephine Bond, Marion Prather, Olivia
Jacobs, Janie Bell Miller, Ruth Beck, Annie Laurie Bates, Mary Dee
McCoy, Margaret McKinney, Edna Mae Wright, Louise Ezell. Edith
Toland, and Mattie Mae Sprouse.
Officers are elected every four months. The Assembly meets on the
first and third Monday nights of each month at 7:30. The immediate
past‑Worthy Adviser is Debbie Fulton and the present head of the
Assembly is Jerri Hatfield. Membership is open to girls of good
character between the ages of 12 and 18 years. At least one Mason or
one member of the Eastern Star must be present at each meeting.
The Central Shrine Club organized during the early 1960s under the
dispensation of Alzafar Shrine in San Antonio, but gave up the
charter because of lack of leaders to carry on the monthly dinner
meetings. to which the Shriners' ladies were invited.
The Coastal Plains Shrine Club was organized in 1970 under the
auspices of the newly formed Al Amin Shrine at Corpus Christi.
Charles L. Sisk is president and Eric Archer is secretary. Eligible
for membership are Master Masons who have attained the rank of
either Knight Templar or Thirty second Degree Scottish Rife.
ORDER OF DEMOLAY FOR BOYS
A Chapter of Order of DeMolay for Boys has operated in Beeville
off and on'' since the 1920s, but is inactive now for the reason
that no one had time to serve as Chapter Dad, leader of the chapter.
Stanfield Thompson served as Chapter Dad when the body was organized
the first time. After several years Sam Pieper took charge of the
youths, and still later Marion W. Young was the leader. Mr. Young
finally had to give up the responsibility because of pressing
business duties, and the Chapter was inactive for a number of years.
Earl Kletf reorganized the body while he was Worshipful Master of
Beeville Masonic Lodge in 1957 and continued to lead the young men
until 1969, when he, too, had to give up the work because he did not
have the time to devote to it. The first Master Councilor under his
eleven year regime was Jim Hayes of Chase Field, and the last one
was Russell Young.
C. W. (Tubby) Hester assumed the Chapter Dad responsibilities, but
after eight months he was forced to resign because of lack of time.
The Chapter was temporarily suspended, but efforts are now under way
to resuscitate the project, and before 1973 expires it is expected
to become active again.
Qualifications for membership in DeMolay are: Boys of good character
between the ages of 14 and 2 1 years. The Chapter Dad must be a
Master Mason. The Masons sponsor the local Chapter.
The National Order of DeMolay for Boys was organized in Kansas City,
Mo., in 1919 by Frank S. Land, a Mason. Since that time several
million youths have been initiated info the fraternity.
BEEVILLE COUNCIL NO. 1653 KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS
Beeville Council No. 1653, Knights of Columbus. was organized in
1912 with fifty‑two charter members.
R. W. (Whizzy) Barry, who at that time was news editor of the
Beeville Bee and who purchased the newspaper following the death of
the publisher, W. 0. McCurdy, on June 19, 1913, became the first
The charter members were R. W. Barry, Edmund Burke, Peter J. Burke,
Joseph F. Burke. Richard Carroll, John A. Carvel, Thomas H. Clare,
George Grover, Robert L. Harrison, Emil Henke, John W. Leahy, Hilary
F. Rush, Sam H. Smith, William C. Stephenson, Benjamin Dudley
Tarlton. Guy E. Teal, Harry W. Zowarka, H. W. Klein, Mark Gregory,
Benjamin Gregory, Amos W. Mussett, Thomas P. Tucker, Ray J. Welder,
Joseph B. Kemp,
Charles H. Kring, T. J. Buckley Jr., John Burke, Jerry Corrigan, J.
E. Dolan, William Francis Dolan, Francis X. Dougherty, J. F. Dunn,
John H. Wood, Jim Francis Goodwin Jr., P. T. Goodwin, Mark Jefferson
Gregory, A. E. Kellmann, John Cornelius Murphy, G. J. Kutchler,
David Charles Odem, H. E. Odem, J. F. Odem. George O'Neill, Desmond
T. Pereira, C. P. Rachal, Rev. John H. Scheid, Owen Joseph Sheeran,
R. J. Smith, William Thomas Thompson, and J. C. Wood.
The following short statement of the founding and purposes of the
Knights of Columbus is taken from the New Catholic Dictionary,
published in 1929 under the imprimatur of Patrick Cardinal Hayes and
compiled and edited by five Catholic scholars:
''Knights of Columbus, a fraternal benefit society for Catholic men
founded and incorporated in New Haven, Conn., in 1882, for the
purpose of developing a practical Catholicity among its members, of
promoting Catholic education and charity, and of furnishing at least
temporary financial aid to the families of deceased members, by
means of its insurance department.
''The order has grown rapidly and is now established in every one of
the United States, in Mexico, Cuba, Panama. the Philippine Islands,
Newfoundland, and Canada . . . The charitable accomplishments of the
Knights of Columbus include beds endowed in Catholic hospitals,
scholarships provided in Catholic colleges, the maintenance of free
employment bureaus, distinguished services during the World War. and
the foundation of a chair in American History at the Catholic
University of America."
During the Bee County Centennial Celebration in 1958, the following
were named chairmen for the six‑point program sponsored by Beeville
Council of Knights of Columbus for the year 1958‑1959; J. M.
Barnhart. general program chairman; the Rev. Louis Joseph, chaplain;
John Hercek, Catholic activity; Charles C. Kohutek, fraternal
activity,‑ Amos W. Musseti, Jr., membership‑insurance‑, John D.
Rossi, public relations; and George Spikes, youth activity.
The present officers of the Council are: P. F. Malek, Grand Knight;
Frank Smeikal, Deputy Grand Knight; Rudy Foitik, Recorcler; Hugh
Brice, Treasurer; H. H. Laechelin Jr., Lecturer; George Bernsen,
Advocate, Rudolf Mueller, Warden; Joe Olsen, Outside Guardian;
Herbert Pivonka, Inside Guardian: Rev. Charles McNaboe, Chaplain;
Robert Simnacher, Financial Secretary and Gus Smeikal. John Hersek,
and Ed Kossa, Trustees.
Three members of the Beeville Council have served as District Deputy
Grand Knights: W. 0. McCurdy, Frank Smejkal, and Ed Kossa.
Past‑Grand Knights of the council and the years that they served
are: R. W. Barry, 1912‑1914; W. C. Stephenson, 1916‑1918; R. W.
Barry. 1918‑1920‑, Tom P. Tucker, 1920‑1923; E. H. Henke,
1923‑1924‑, B. T. Gregory, 1924‑1928; Tom P. Tucker, 1928‑1930; W.
C. Stephenson, 19301932; T. E. Gregory, 1932‑1935; N. D. Karl,
1935‑1937; Tom P. Tucker, 1937‑19387 J. E. Nowery, 1938‑1939; Tom P.
Tucker, 1939‑1940; J. A. Nichols, 1940‑1941; D. M. Parchman,
1941‑1942‑, D. H. Sullivan, 19421943; D. H. Sullivan, 1946‑1947; A.
R. Taylor, 1947‑1948‑, J. J. Muska, 1948‑1949; Charles Houlihan,
1949‑1951; John Zimmer, 1951‑1952; L. Helvenston, 1952‑1953; J. F.
Young, 1953‑1954; H. Wehman, 1954‑1955‑, Stephen Fey, 1955‑1956; A.
Wingenfer, 1956‑1957‑, Robert Adkins, 19571958; R. A. Foltik,
1959‑1960; Frank Smeikal, 1961‑19627 W. 0. McCurdy, 1963‑1964;
Albert Leo McGuill, 1964‑1965; Tony Warzecha, 1966‑1967; Gus Smeikal,
1967‑1970; and P. F. Malek, 1971‑1972.
The James R. Dougherty Sr. Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus
Assembly was organized in 1965, and W. 0. McCurdy was the first
Faithful Navigator. The charter members were: W. 0. McCurdy, Frank
Smelkal, Robert Adkins, Paul Bauer, Bob Juenger, Bill Trial, George
Spikes, Jim Frazier, Joe Olson, 1. P. O'Neil, and the Rt. Rev. Msgr.
The present officers of the Assembly are: Frank Smelkal, Faithful
Navigator‑, Rober, Adkins, Faithful Admiral; Leo Strauss, Faithful
Comptroller: Rudolf Mueller, Faithful Purser, and Ed Kossa, Faithful
WESTERN STAR MASONIC LODGE NO. 444
Western Star Lodge No. 444, A.F.&A.M., was organized in Beeville in
1922, with Mitchell Hampton as Worshipful Master. Mr. Hampton served
as head of the lodge for thirty years, and in 1952, Rieba Tucker was
installed as Master, and served until 1968. The Rev. John C.
Caruthers succeeded Mr. Tucker and had charge of the organization
until 1972, when Macon Smith, the incumbent Master was installed.
The lodge is operating under the jurisdiction of the Most Worshipful
Saint Joseph Grand Lodge of Austin, Texas. There are twenty‑six
members and six of them have attained the Thirty‑second Degree of
Scottish Rite Masonry.
The Beeville members meet on first and third Tuesday nights in their
two‑story temple at the corner of West Flournoy and Avenue B.
Present officers are: Macon Smith, Worshipful Master; Arthur Lee
Liggins, Senior Warden; George McCarty, Junior Warden‑, Mitchell
Hampton, Treasurer; B. W. Coates, Secretary; Aaron Smith, Senior
Deacon; Clemente Ramon, Junior Deacon. and Robert Farris, Tiler.
GOLDEN LEAF CHAPTER NO. 593, O.E.S.
Golden Leaf Chapter No. 593, Order of the Eastern Star, was
organized in Beeville in 1928, and Mrs. Mary Canada was the first
Worthy Matron and Mitchell Hampton was the Worthy Patron.
The Chapter meets in the Masonic Hall at the corner of West Flournoy
and Avenue B, and there are eighteen members.
Present Officers are: Mrs. Anna Russell, Worthy Matron‑, Mitchell
Hampton, Worthy Patron, Mrs. Catherine Coates, Associate Matron*,
Miss Sammie Barefield, Conclucfress, Mrs. Rose Graves. Associate
Conducfress; Mrs. Alma Hampton, Secretary; Mrs. Alice Green,
Treasurer; Mrs. Susie B. Blackwell, Chaplain; Mrs. Velma Lewis,
Assistant Chaplain; Robert Farris, Sentinel, and Mrs. Alice Green,
The Star Points officers are: Mrs. Jewel Tolliver, Adah; Miss
Willaner Bess, Ruth*, Miss Darlene Davis, Esther‑, Mrs. May
Alexander, Martha‑, Mrs. Mary Jo Easterling, Eiectra, and Mrs. Velma
Johnson, Warda. Out of‑town members are Mrs. Dorothy Hodge and Mrs.
Marsha Neil McLinn.
Aaron Smith is presently representing the Grand Chapter of Austin as
PETTUS MASONIC LODGE
Pettus Masonic Lodge No. 1308 was chartered on December 2, 1948, and
there were thirty charter members. The lodge was sponsored by Kenedy
Masonic Lodge, and the first elected officers were: W. E. Fox,
Worshipful Master; W. C. Meneley, Senior Warden. and A. A. Ware,
The second floor of the W. T. Roberts Company general store was
leased by the Masons for meeting quarters. In 1970, a temple was
erected on the opposite side of the railroad tracks, and that is the
permanent home of the lodge. The lots on which the structure was
built were given by Mrs. John (Helen Harfzendorf) Shaw.
The first meeting held in the new temple was on April 6, 1970, with
A. B. Smith presiding as Worshipful Master.
The late Gentry Dugat started the project of framing pictures of the
Past‑Masters of the lodge and hanging them in the temple. He also
gave the lodge a Currier & Ives painting of George Washington.
K. W. Hart presented the lodge with a crusader's sword. which is
around nine hundred years old, with the following explanation:
''This ancient crusader's sword, 13th or 14th century, may have
secured our ancient brethren from eavesdroppers, scoundrels, or
ruffians, serving the filer well; if may have seen 'justice done'
upon occasions‑, it may have settled a score upon the field of
battle; if may have proven the honor of an ancient duelist. Let us
trust that if remain only an ornament 'within the Iodge'‑a relic of
past glory still as useful as ever, should occasion require.''
The Past-Masters of the lodge and the years they served follow:
Ernest Fox, 1948; W. C. Meneley, 1949; C. R. Collier, 1950; J. S.
Holmes, i951; T. W. Nelson, 1952; V. D. Eubanks, 1953‑, A. B. Hines,
1954; C. P. Beauchamp, 1955‑, J. D. Copeland, 1956; G. H. Davis,
1957; John Pogue, 1958; W. L. (Ed) Garner, 1959; John Shaw, 1960;
Doyle Parker, 196 1 ; E. D. Williams, 1962; J. B. Vanhooser, 1963;
W. K. Bateman, 1964; C. R. Jones, 1965; C. E. Briley, 1966; K. W.
Hart, 1967; George Anderson, 1968; James Beauchamp, 1969; Arnold B.
Smith. 1970; Arnold B. Smith, 1971
and Harmon Devall, Jr., 1972.
The charter members were: Kenneth R. Leggett, W. C. Meneley, D.
Possoit, H. A. English, A. S. Hope, J. S. Holmes, R. S. Pearce, C.
M. West, J. E. Roberts, Leroy Roberts, J. M. Matthews Sr., J. M.
Matthews Jr., E. D. Miller, C. G. Barnard, A. S. Burris. C. R.
Collier, W. E. Fox, Denver C. Roberts, J. W. Lockhart, A. A. Ware,
L. R. LaComb, W. F. Morrison, Travis Hunt, J. M. Warfield, C. F.
Randall, H. L. Devall, M. L. Clewis, B. L. Scott, Gentry Dugat, and
George A. Ray Jr.
The present officers of the lodge are: Harmon Devall Jr., Worshipful
Master; Gil Champagne, Senior Warden; H. L. Devall Sr., Junior
Warden; Ernest Fox, Treasurer; John Shaw, Secretary‑, W. L. (Ed)
Garner, Senior Deacon; T. E. Ball, Junior Deacon; John Fox, Tiler;
K. W. Hart, Senior Steward‑, J. B. Vanhooser, Junior Steward, and
George Anderson, Chaplain.