W.W. BARRETT DIED AT LAKE VICTOR.
Walter Winn Barrett, 78,
died at his home at Lake Victor Wednesday afternoon, August 19, at 2:30
o'clock. Funeral services were held in the Naruna Baptist Church
this morning at 11 o'clock by Rev. A. V. Feild. Burial was in the
Mr. Barrett was a native
Texan, born in Polk County on June 15, 1858. He had lived in the
Lake Victor section for more than twenty years and had been a gin man
most of his life. He had been a member of the Presbyterian Church
since early manhood. He is survived by his widow and seven
NOTES from Transcriber:
Walter Winn Barrett was
the son of William and Susan H. Winn Barrett who married in Polk
County, Texas, July 23, 1857. (Susan Winn was the daughter of
James and Elizabeth T. Bradley Winn who arrived in Texas in May
1825. On March 31, 1831, James received one league of land
(4428.4 acres) from the Mexican government as a part of Stephen F.
Austin's second impresario contract).
W. W. married Pollie Ann Shriber/Shreiber on February 10, 1878, in
Coryell County, Texas, and they were the parents of:
- Minta Mae, born May 18, 1880, and married John Paul
- Willie B., born December 9, 1881, and married
Alexander Hamilton (Ham) Traweek
- Lillian, born April 27, 1884; died July 16, 1901.
- Fred Ernest, born August 22, 1886, and married Mary
Ellen (Ell) Jones.
- Lawrence, born March 27, 1890; died September 12,
- Ralph Verna, born January 10, 1892, and married Eva
- Bertha Lee, born September 3, 1895, and married
Edward Harris (Ed) Farquhar.
- Ruth Berneice, born July 29, 1897, and married James
- Thelma Evelyn, born March 7, 1900, and married Ray
- Charles Winn, born August 24, 1902, and married Della
Walter Winn Barrett spent
his working years building, operating and maintaining cotton gins, and
among his business locations was the Lake Victor Gin in it's early
years. He was instrumental in the planning and the building of
the Lake Victor Masonic Lodge where he served as the first Worshipful
Master. He and Pollie Barrett are buried in the Naruna
Cemetery. Also buried there are his father, William, and his
sister, Lillian Barrett.