William Edward Clinkscales, son of B.T. and Clarissa Clinkscales was born at Wild Hollow, SC, 9 Aug 1873. He came to Texas stopping first at Jefferson then to Georgetown and finally landing in Briggs in 1897. He owned and operated a grocery store in connection with the post office of which he was post master for some 25 years. He was notary public for many years and served as school trustee and took active part in all community enterprises. He passed away 27 Dec 1948.
On Dec 19, 1901 he married Mary Patterson, daughter of Marcus and Rosann (Maness) Patterson, pioneer residents who came to Texas with the W.A. Nichols family in 1882, Mr. Nichols coming with a load of household goods in a covered wagon, taking one month to make the trip, while the women and children came with the Patterson family on the train. Marcus (Mark) Patterson was born in Henderson Tenn. Oct 24, 1850, son of Gilbert and Millie Emaline Patterson, who were married Oct 15, 1847. He departed this life July 11, 1941 and his wife, Rosann died in 1921. They were the parents of seven children, all now deceased except Amos: George; Mrs. Aggie Zimmerle, wife of W.R. Zimmerle, of Lawn; Charlie G. Patterson who married Josie King, of Georgetown; Millie, wife of B.T. Preslar of Florence; M. Amos, who married Lillie Davis and after her death, Sellie Caskey, of Georgetown; Mary wife of W.E. Clinkscales of Briggs and J. Lee Patterson who married Lillie Berry, of Briggs. The latter ones are the parents of two children, Oma, wife of Thad. R. Carson of Briggs and Marcus who married Lenora Caskey. They also have three grandchildren, T.R. Carson Jr., Glynda Carson, and Jack Patterson.
Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Clinkscales are the parents of one son, Horace Clinkscales, who married Wilma McBryde, daughter of Mance and Elizabeth McBryde of Killeen. He is serving as postmaster and she has taught many years in the public schools. All the members of these families are Baptists and active workers in the church. They are leading citizens of their home communities and are noted for their generous hospitality.