|GREEN, Gustavus Edward - died 9 March 1924
ANOTHER PIONEER CITIZEN IS GONE
Capt. G.E. Green is
dead. The summons came last Sunday afternoon at 5:30 o'clock, after he
had been confined to his room since last summer suffering from a
complication of troubles. First it was rheumatism of the limbs, then
neuralgia, and finally a general breakdown. The neuralgia pain went to
his heart and he died very suddenly Sunday afternoon. Up to thirty
minutes before his death the loved ones were very much encouraged
because they thought he was so much better that there was a chance for
his complete recovery.
Captain Green was a native Texan. He was born in the southern part of
the State April 10th, 1844. He would have been 80 years old on the 10th
day of next month. He lived in different parts of the state until the
war between the states came on, then he shouldered his gun and answered
the call for volunteers. He enlisted in Co. B. 21st, Texas Cavalry,
Walkers Division. The late Major Buck Walton was captain of his
company. The roster shows that there were 34 men in Co. B. Familiar
names listed as members of the organization are: Carpenter, Cook,
Dawson, Lewis, Green, Lacy, and Yett. Mr. Green was a valiant soldier
and did his bit to perpetuate the principles for which he was fighting.
He endured many hardships and suffered privations, but he pressed
forward until the last gun was fired. At the close of the struggle, Mr.
Green, like all good soldiers, laid down his implements of warfare and
turned his attention to rebuilding the war-torn and devastated country.
On October 16th, 1867, in the log cabin on the Uncle Wylie Fowler place near Spicewood, Mr. Green and Miss Rebecca Fowler
were united in marriage and established a home. Little more than a year
ago, Mrs. Green was called to her reward. Surviving this union are five
children: Booth Green of this place, Ed Green of Tow, Guy Green of Warika, Okla., Mrs. Ross Tate of Carizo Springs, Mrs. Heber Long of Shreveport, La. The children, except Guy, were all present when Mr. Green died last Sunday.
Deceased was a faithful, consistent christian and a devout member of
the Baptist Church. He was converted to the christian religion when a
young man and lived true to his convictions throughout a well spent
life. He is survived by two brothers, F.P. Green of San Angelo and Lewis Green of Arizona and one sister, Mrs. Madaline Richards of Mineral Wells.
In 1881 Mr. Green was appointed Sheriff of Burnet county by the court to fill out the unexpired term of Dock Miller.
He was a fearless officer and discharged the duties of the office
without fear or favor. From Burnet Mr. Green moved to Granite Mountain,
where he engaged in the hotel business. In later years, he moved to
Marble Falls where the remainder of his life was spent.
In the death of this good man, the church has lost one of its most
faithful members, the community a patriotic progressive citizen, and
the family a kind, loving father. The world will be made better for his
having lived in it, and the good that he did will live on through the
The funeral service was conducted at the City Cemetery by Rev. L.D.
Hornburg, pastor of the Baptist Church, Monday afternoon. The pall
bearers were Gus P. Fowler, Bell Fowler, Gordon Fowler, Guy Green, Jr., E.C. Fowler, and Ed Fowler.
The editor takes this opportunity to extend sympathy to those who mourn
the death of this good man and worthy citizen. May you emulate his life
and be comforted with the assurance that he has been called home to
dwell in that temple above, that house not made with his hands.
[see also Photo Album, Sheriff's Page, and Confederate Veterans Pensions]