Marble Falls Factory Site

Source:  Herman Brown Free Library








 





LOCATION: on US 281, N of Colorado River Bridge, Marble Falls.

The potential of water power on the Colorado River led town developer Gen. Adam R. Johnson and Farmers Alliance members to build a cotton mill on this site in the 1890s. The two-story stone factory, 300 feet long and 100 feet wide, was erected for the Marble Falls Cotton and Wollen Company, formed in 1892. New machinery run by hydroelectric power was installed by the Marble Falls Textile Mills Company in the 1920s. Woolen goods, surgical gauze, and air conditioners were made here before the factory was gutted by fire in 1964 and razedin 1971. (1977) 
Historical Markers in Burnet County
Photo Album



 

BURNET COUNTY TXGENWEB PAGE

GO TO

Burnet Main Page | Photo Album | Burnet Resources | War Page | Texas Resources | National Resources | Searches | Genealogy Info


You are our 1627 visitor to this page.

Last update:  Sunday, 28-Sep-2008 17:42:36 MDT