Historical Marker

Granite Mountain

Source: Photos by Barry Caraway, <barrycaraway@hotmail.com>, Sept 2002

 

This 866-foot dome of solid pink granite, covering 180 acres, contains the largest quarry of its kind in the United States. This mountain, like all granite formations, was once melted rock, similar to lava. As the molten rock cooled thousands of feet below the earth's surface, it hardened into large crystals of quartz, feldspar and several dark-colored minerals.

Wherever strength, durability and beauty of finish are required, granite is a favored building stone. The mountain was part of a grant made to Texas colonist William Slaughter. The site became famous commercially when a dispute arose in the 1880s over the type of stone to be used in the Capitol in Austin. The issue was settled in 1885 when Governor John Ireland resisted demands to use non-native limestone.

Following this decision, a special track was built to haul the granite to the rail line in Burnet. The stone was generously donated to the state by quarry owners G.W. Lacy, N.L. Norton, and W.H. Westfall.

Today granite from the quarry here is shipped to all parts of Texas, the U.S., and foreign countries for use in monuments, shafts, jetties, and buildings. It has been used in the Galveston sea wall and in new state office buildings near the Capitol in Austin. (1979)

LOCATION: On FM 1431, 1 mile West of Marble Falls.

 

See complete list of Burnet County Historical Markers

 

 

GO TO

Burnet Main Page | Photo Album | Burnet Resources | War Page | Texas Resources | National Resources | Searches | Genealogy Info


You are our 2193 visitor to this page.

Last update:  Sunday, 22-Sep-2002 18:58:03 MDT