Historical Marker - Holland Springs

Source: Bruce Gregg, <gregg49@bigfoot.com>, July 2002

 

 

LOCATION: On Mormon Mills road, 2.3 miles south of Burnet, west side of road.

The first white settlement Holland Springs occurred in 1847, when Henry E. McCulloch established a Texas Ranger camp there. A year later, Samuel Holland, a Georgian, decided while visiting camp to establish a farm. In 1849 the ranger camp gave way to Fort Croghan and Holland took over the land around the springs, paying 50 cents an acre for 1,280 acres. He is recorded as the first permanent settler in what later became Burnet County. When the county organized in 1852, he was the first treasurer. His father-in-law was the first judge. Holland Springs was one of the more important settlements in the early days of the county and had a school. (1969)

List of all Burnet County Historical Markers.

Holland Springs Historical Marker

Descendant Chart of Samuel E. Holland

Photo of Samuel E. Holland

 

GO TO

Burnet Main Page | Photo Album | Burnet Resources | War Page | Texas Resources | National Resources | Searches | Genealogy Info


You are our 1917 visitor to this page.

Last update:  Saturday, 20-Jul-2002 19:21:48 MDT