Historical Marker

Mt. Zion Cemetery

Source: Photo by Barry Caraway, <barrycaraway@hotmail.com>, Aug 2002

 

LOCATION: 3.4 miles SW of Bertram on FM 243, then 0.6 miles E on CR 330, then 0.5 miles N. on CR 330A to cemetery.

John Jennings (1802-1867), his wife Sarah C. (Sally) (1806-1879) and their family came to this area in 1851. The settlement which grew up around their farm became known as Jennings Creek Community. After Burnet County was created in 1852, John Jennings was instrumentall in organizing the new county government. He was a county commissioner for four yers.

The oldest documented burial in this graveyard, which was originally known as the Jennings Family Cemetery, is that of Mary Ann Jennings (1835-1856). Other early burials include those of John and Sally Jennings, members of their family, and neighbors.

The Jennings Family Cemetery became known as Mount Zion Cemetery when the Mount Zion Cumberland Presbyterian Church was built about one-half mile south of this site in the 1890s. The land on which the cemetery is situated remained in the Jennings family until 1944.

Among the more than five hundred grave markers here are tombstones of veterans of the Civil War, and the Spanish American War. A cemetery association incorporated in 1972 cares for the historic graveyard. (1989)

 

See complete list of Burnet County Historical Markers

 

 

GO TO

Burnet Main Page | Photo Album | Burnet Resources | War Page | Texas Resources | National Resources | Searches | Genealogy Info


You are our 1940 visitor to this page.

Last update:  Monday, 16-Sep-2002 09:47:42 MDT