Historical Marker

Rockvale Cemetery

Source: Photos by Barry Caraway <barrycaraway@hotmail.com>

 

LOCATION: 5 miles NW of Spicewood on Burnet County Road 404.

The once thriving community of Rockvale began as a pioneer settlement in the 1850s. A log cabin built in 1855 served as a school and church. A Baptist Church was erected in 1856 and had eight charter members. Over 36 acres of land were deeded by Thomas Lloyd Denniston in 1872 to the Methodist Episcopal Church. A stone church building was erected on the land, and two acres were set aside for a cemetery. The earliest recorded burial is that of infant John Francis from 1870. The cemetery north of here is one of the few remnants of the Rockvale community, and is still in use. (1996)

 

See complete list of Burnet County Historical Markers

 

 

GO TO

Burnet Main Page | Photo Album | Burnet Resources | War Page | Texas Resources | National Resources | Searches | Genealogy Info


You are our 2011 visitor to this page.

Last update:  Sunday, 06-Oct-2002 17:59:20 MDT