Historical Marker

Shady Grove Community

Source: Photos by Barry Caraway <barrycaraway@hotmail.com>

 

LOCATION: County Road off RR 1174, 5 miles N. of Bertram.

In the 1850s and 60s, families settled on this farm and ranch land along the Middle Gabriel River. The Old Austin-Lampasas and Burnet-Belton Roads intersected here. Six acres deeded by Alexander M. Barton in 1877 later became the site of a schoolhouse, church, and cemetery. At first the community was called "Russell Gabriel." The Cumberland Presbyterian Church organized and met in the school building in 1878. Soon the name changed to "Grove" because the schoolhouse was located in a grove of live oak trees.

The settlement boasted a cotton gin and corn mill, a general store and blacksmith shop, a doctor and a Masonic Lodge. In 1882, the Presbyterian, Methodist and Baptist Congregations built a Union Arbor for camp meetings and revivals. For a few months in 1902 there was a post office. Since there was another Shady Grove in Texas, the name "Tamega" was used. A general store by that name operated here for 50 years.

The Presbyterian Fellowship erected this church structure first and then in 1905 built this tabernacle. The school consolidated with Bertram in 1942. When the Presbyterian congregation merged with Bertram in 1966, this property became a community center and homecoming site. (1979)

 

See complete list of Burnet County Historical Markers

 

 

GO TO

Burnet Main Page | Photo Album | Burnet Resources | War Page | Texas Resources | National Resources | Searches | Genealogy Info


You are our 2129 visitor to this page.

Last update:  Sunday, 06-Oct-2002 18:08:22 MDT