Source: The Highlander, Thursday July 26, 1962, 75th Anniversary Edition
Transcribed by Edna Cheatham, <ecrobinhood @ yahoo . com>, October 2009
Marble Falls College, Built in 1890, Served Educational Needs
The early educational needs of Marble Falls were met by the Marble
Falls College, built in 1890 at a cost of about $15,000. This building
today serves as the junior high school.
After 1900 the name of the school was changed to Marble Falls Academy.
Here is what the college’s seventh annual catalogue, issued in 1894,
has to say about the building and site:
“The handsome two-story building, 77x85 feet, is probably the only
solid granite building in the State. It is constructed of material from
the same quarry as that used on the exterior of the new State Capitol
of Texas. It was erected in 1890 at a cost of about $15,000. It has in
connection a two-and-a-half story frame building, well finished and
furnished for a boarding hall.
“These buildings are situated in a beautiful elm grove one mile from
the central portion of the town.
“The rainfall on the college roof is conveyed into a large cistern,
affording the school an abundance of pure water.
“The buildings are near the center of a 10-acre campus, level, shaded
and covered with granite sand, so that mud, even in rainy weather, is
“All these features secure the comfort and contentment and hence the
application and advancement of the pupils.
“During the past few months the upper story of the college building has
been finished in elegant style, thereby giving us three
other handsome recitation rooms. The grounds have recently been
enclosed with a neat and substantial fence, by which the appearance of
the property has been much improved, so that Marble Falls can challenge
any town in West Texas to show a more beautiful school property than
that of her college.”
Bruce is Principal
In 1894, W. H. Bruce, PhD., became principal of the college. There were 10 grades and a junior collegiate course. The board of trustees was composed of W. E. Ford,G. E. Green, and H. T. Ellison.
The teaching staff that year included Bruce, R. W. Bruce, Mrs. Emma Haygood, Miss Leonora Burns, Miss StellaHallford, and Miss Maggie Forbes. Miss Nilla Phinney and Miss Minta Brown were in charge of the music department and Miss Mollie McDonald was art instructor.
That year there were 174 boys and 178
girls enrolled. There was no football, school buses or parties during
week days. Few holidays were observed.
In those days hogs and livestock ran at
large in town and saloons were wide open on main street. Michel’s store
and opera house, one of Marble Falls’ landmarks, was destroyed by fire
The college’s catalogue lists these
shipments from Marble Falls for the 12 months period ending June 1,
Hogs, 31 cars, 2900 head Horses and cattle, 33 cars Cedar wood and posts, 144 cars Pecans, 6 cars Miscellaneous freight, 40 cars Wool, 58,804 pounds Cotton, 1,210 bales
A statement from C. C. Pearson,
agent for Austin and Northwestern Railroad, stated that in the same
period there was shipped from Marble Falls station 4,600 cars of
There are many familiar names in the
1894 enrollment in Marble Falls College and their listing by The
Highlander will recall many poignant memories to its readers:
Male and Female Students were listed separately in 1894
Alston, Anna Lee
Burris, Sedlie E.
Lacy, John H.
Lacy, John F.
La Forge, Geneva
Moursund, Anton N.
Phinney, Charles D.
Steen, Walter E.