Search billions of records on

News Tibits
29 Jan 1903

Source:  Burnet Bulletin, 29 Jan 1903
transcribed by Barry Caraway, Oct 2002

Wednesday about 1 o'clock p.m. Mrs. E. J. Sampson's residence was discovered on fire, and not withstanding the fact that the brave fight was made at once the building was soon entirely consumed.  Most of her furniture, if not all of it, was saved.  Her loss is probably $500, with no insurance.

It was feared for several minutes that J. C. Chamberlain's residence was doomed.  It was separated from Mrs. Sampson's residence by about 15 feet on the North, and several times the south end was in a big blaze, and with the slight south wind blowing nearly everyone gave the building up.  The boys on the roof thought at one stage that it was gone, the shingles becoming so hot that they were scorching, but at this moment the wall of Mrs. Sampson's house fell inward, and by gallantly rallying to the work, the crowd of heroic workers both below and above succeeded in extinguishing the flames, although the building was considerably damaged fully covered by insurance. All the household goods were carried from the building. 

If the Chamberlain residence had burned it is highly probable that the whole block would have gone which besides the two mentioned, included J. L. King's and A. B. Johnson's.  As it was Mr. King's residence caught on fire several times. 

Messrs. Chamberlain has asked for space to thank those who were present for gallant work done, but we put them off until next week.


Burnet County TXGenWeb


Burnet Main Page | Photo Album | Burnet Resources | War Page | Texas Resources | National Resources | Searches | Genealogy Info


You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor to this page.

Last update:  Saturday, 08-Mar-2008 16:36:12 MST