Fort Croghan was the third of the first four Forts established by the United States government in the first quarter of 1849 to protect white settlements from hostile Indians. Ultimately there was a chain of Forts extending from Fort Worth in North Texas to Fort Inge near present Uvalde. This Fort was named for Colonel George Croghan, a professional soldier who was awarded a special gold medal by Congress for his valor in defending Fort Stephenson at Lower Sandusky, Ohio, in the war of 1812. Ft. Croghan was officially established on March 18, 1849, by Company A, Second Dragoons under command of Lt C. H. Tyler.
...The Ft Croghan museum is maintained as a joint effort of the Burnet County Historical Commission and the Burnet County Heritage Society. ...It is dedicated to the preservation of items pertaining to the history of Burnet County, Texas.
~ See "Soldiers Who Died..."
~ Read an 1853 Inspection Report which gives descriptions of the countryside, buildings and some interesting details about frontier life.
Admission: Free, donations gratefully accepted
Over 1,200 items of early history are on display in the museum. On the grounds, one can visit a blacksmith shop, a county iron pavillion, stage stop house, old powder house, Fry Family Cabin, Kincheloe Family Cabin, Vandeveer Family Cabin, a syrup making shop, and see old time farm equipment.
Stage Stop House. The home of Constantine Foster was originally built just East of Hamilton Creek while the Fort was still active. It is traditionally known as the "Stagecoach House" and is believed to have been so used. Inside is a desk made at Mormon Mills in 1854, an old tobacco cutter, 1865 coffee mill, sythes, chairs, tables, iron kitchenware, a set of wagon repair tools, and more.
Old Powder House. Traditionally known as the "old powder house", this building was erected at its present location. During the War Between the States, local people made gun-powder and stored it here for pick up by C.S.A. wagons. See old crocks and wooden buckets, a shingle cutter, beer capper, black powder barrels, mini-ball and musket ball boxes, cotton scales and other items.
Fry Cabin. The "Old Fry House" was built about 1856 by William
Perry. Later it was the home of John W. fry and his family of 10
children, and also of Aaron Fry and his family of 11 children,
including Roy Fry, first chairman of the Board of Directors of the
Lower Colorado River Authority. See a wooden cradle, wash pots, 1880
sewing machine, dutch oven, old furniture items, Fry family pictures,
and much more.