BARN - LOCATION: Approx. 1 mi. E
of Burnet on south side of SH 29.
Kentucky native Adam Rankin Johnson
(1834-1927) came to Texas in 1854. After attaining the rank of
brigadier general in the Confederate Army, Johnson later settled
in Burnet county where he was active in business and civic
affairs. In 1882 he donated land for the railroad that carried
Burnet county granite for Texas state capitol. This stone barn, on
the homestead he called "Airy Mount" was built in the early 1880s
and remained in the Johnson family until 1913. Recorded Texas
- LOCATION: 229 S. Pierce Street,
Completed about 1883, this two-story
limestone structure is representative of other commercial
buildings located on the courthouse square in the 1880s. It was
built for local financier Dr.W.H.Westfall and Captain Brandt
Badger (b.1839), a native of Georgia who had served in the
Confederate Army from Texas during the Civil War. Badger and his
son Walter operated a wholesale and retail drugstore on the ground
floor. The second floor area, divided into five rooms, was leased
for use as office spaces. Badger sold the business in 1885 and
later, in partnership with Adam R. Johnson, helped establish the
nearby town of Marble Falls (14 miles). For the latter part of the
nineteenth century the structure housed a hardware store. In 1903
the newly formed Burnet National Bank was located here and
remained at this site until it closed as a result of the economic
depression of the 1930s.
The Badger building has also been used
by the State Parks Board, the Burnet Rural Telephone Company, the
Farm Loan Association, doctors, lawyers, and various businesses.
From 1948 to 1959 it served as the Burnet Post Office. In 1966 the
structure was occupied by the Youth And Community Center. (1980)
Location: Vaughan Highway Park,
SH 29 West, Bertram
The town of Bertram was founded in 1882
when the Austin And Northwestern Railroad established a route
through the area. The community was named for Rudolph Bertram, an
Austin merchant who was instrumental in the development of the
rail line. Many early residents were from the settlement of South
Gabriel (2 miles SE). Homes and commercial buildings of the
pioneer settlers were moved here by brothers L.R. and J.W. Gray.
The first store, also relocated from South Gabriel, was run by
James D. Riley and Capt. Tom D. Vaughan.
Bertram developed as a marketing center
for the area's diversified agricultural production. Continued
growth came during World War I when the demand for farm and ranch
products increased and by the 1920s it was the site of auto
dealerships, four banks, a newspaper, a hotel and a variety of
other businesses. The economic depression of the 1930s, World War
II and improved methods of transportation combined to limit
Bertram's growth. Incorporated in the 1970s, the town remains an
agricultural center. It serves as a reminder of the pioneers who
settled here over a century ago. Many of their descendants still
live in the area and serve as leaders of the community.
SCHOOL - LOCATION: In front of
school, on FM 243, Bertram.
When Bertram was founded in 1882 along
the Austin & Northwestern Railroad, one of the first
structures erected was a combination school, Sunday School, and
Masonic Lodge Hall. Rudolph Bertram, Austin railroad executive for
whom the town was named, contributed $50 for construction of the
school. the frame building was enlarged as the community grew. By
1908, however, new facilities were needed for the 264
students.In May 1909, Bertram voters approved
incorporation as an independent school district and construction
of a new school building. This 2-story red brick structure was
erected on property purchased from T.D. Vaughn. Designed by
architect George Endress and built by contractor M.L. Langford, it
opened in the fall of 1909 with J.N. Matthews as the first
principal. Bertram was then in the midst of a cotton-growing boom,
and students often missed the beginning of school to help in the
fields. As the enrollment increased, sports and
other extra-curricular activities were introduced. A separate high
school was erected in 1925 and a gymnasium in 1948. Over a period
of years, several smaller county schools transferred their
students to Bertram. In 1970 Bertram schools merged with the
CEMETERY - LOCATION: 8 miles NE of Burnet on FM 963, then 1
mile N on CR 202.
The Rev. Richard Howard (1817-1882)
moved to this area of Burnet County in 1855. The frontier
settlement he joined would later be known as the Bethel Community.
In 1874 he deeded two acres at this site for community use. The
first recorded burial was that of Howard's granddaughter, Harriet
Ruthie Howard, in 1875. Since then this site has been used as the
Bethel Community Cemetery. Buried here are veterans of the Civil
War to World War II and many of this area's early settlers and
their descendants. The Bethel Cemetery association was established
in 1930. [photo]
- LOCATION: About 1 mile east of
ranch road 1174 N on County Road that is east from North Gabriel
Built as a defense against the Indians
in 1855 by William Black, 1815-1907, on land owned by him. In the
stockade, constructed of cedar logs, sentries were kept on guard
on moonlight nights. Guns and ammunition for public use were kept
here. Abandoned in 1868. Erected in 1936 by the Texas Centennial
HOUSE - LOCATION: S. 4th St., between M Street and N
Street, Marble Falls.
Brandt Badger (1839-1920), a veteran of
the Confederate Army, moved to Burnet from Gonzales in 1885, and
in 1887, helped found Marble Falls. He built this house in 1888 of
granite from nearby Granite Mountain. The stones were cut from
quarry rubble remaining after the "shaping" of the blocks for the
State Capitol Building. The structure has 8 rooms and 6
fireplaces. Badger lived in the house until his death, and it was
owned by the family until 1943. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -
COMMUNITY - LOCATION: post on
U.S. 183 in Briggs.
Pioneers mainly from the Old South
settled here on the Aaron Boyce Land Grant in the 1860s and 70s.
they had a school, and held church services at Gum Springs in the
1880s. In 1888 a Post Office opened at Taylor's Gin Store; this
was renamed in 1898 for Mrs. Henry D. Briggs, an early settler. On
April 12, 1906, a tornado destroyed much of the village.
Afterward, Briggs was rebuilt on a platted townsite; it thrived
from 1906 to 1920, but began declining after a 1928 fire. Many of
the townspeople have worked since 1950 at Fort Hood, in
neighboring Bell County. (1977)
PLACE - LOCATION: off county
road, 3 miles SE of Bertram via SH 29.
John H. Bryson (1850-1930) and his wife
Milda (Barton) (1852-1952) had this home constructed on their land
in 1906 by local builder Marcus Langford. It is located on a site
purchased in 1855 by Milda's uncle Welborn Barton and later owned
by her father, Decator Barton. The Bartons and Brysons had been
neighbors in South Carolina before migrating to Texas. Descendants
of these pioneer Burnet County families have retained ownership of
the turn-of-the-century residence. Recorded Texas Historic
Landmark - 1982.
BULLETIN - LOCATION: 101 East Jackson St., Burnet.
Established in the early 1870s, this
weekly newspaper has been in continuous operation for more than
one hundred years. The first editor on record was George Whitaker,
who served in that position until 1874. In 1898, the paper was
sold to L.C. and J.H. Chamberlain, members of a pioneer Burnet
County family. the "Bulletin" remained in the ownership of the
Chamberlain family until 1960. The newspaper operation has
survived numerous hardships over the years, including the
destruction of its offices in a 1920 fire. The Bulletin" has been
housed here since 1979.
Completed in 1872, this structure was
used continuously as a general retail merchandising store until
about 1900. Since that time it has served as a combination
furniture store and mortuary and as telephone company offices. The
second floor was used as a courtroom during the 1930s, while a new
county courthouse was constructed.
With historic ties to the early days of
Burnet, both the "Bulletin" and this building are important
reminders of the area's heritage. (1985) [Photo]
COMMERCIAL IN BURNET - LOCATION:
309 S. Main, Burnet.
Logan Vandeveer (1815-55), a hero of the
1836 Battle of San Jacinto, came here about 1849 as a Fort Croghan
beef supplier. He became first United States postmaster in Burnet
and in 1854 built this native stone structure. With a partner
named Taylor, he had a store on the ground floor. Vandeveer was a
charter member of Valley Lodge No. 175, A.F. & A.M., which
occupied the top floor from 1855 to 1969, owning the building many
years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966. [Photo]
CHRISTIAN-MATERN HOUSE -
LOCATION: 603 Seventh Street, Marble Falls
Juliet Johnson, daughter of the founder of Marble Falls,
married George Christian in 1887. He was one of ten owners of the
Texas Mining and Improvement Company that developed the town. The
first town lots were sold in 1887, and in 1892 this house was
built for the Christians. Ivo B. and Mina Matern bought the house
in 1908 and owned it for 51 years. Ivo Matern, a Merchant and
rancher, also served as mayor of Marble Falls in 1937. A fine late
Victorian-era house, it exhibits Queen Anne style influences
including decorative woodwork and protruding bay windows.
|COOK HOME -
LOCATION: 200 N. Main in
Built in 1873 in Victorian style, with
large bay windows, solid walnut staircase, three fireplaces. Was
remodeled, but retains the original floor plan. House was bought
in 1890 by Judge J.G. Cook, a noted lawyer and remained in the
Cook family several generations. Recorded Texas Historical
Landmark, 1968. [Photo]
CROWNOVER CHAPEL -
LOCATION: FM 1855, 2 miles west
of US 281, 6 miles north of Marble Falls.
Backbone Valley's first public building,
started in 1859 on 7-acre tract donated that year by heirs of
settler Jefferson Barton. Finished in 1870, the chapel was named
for the Rev. Arter Crownover (1810-76), whose preaching of
Methodist faith opened its use. Building soon also housed a
school. the nearby cemetery was used by 1872.
A school room was added, but later
removed. Chapel now bears original appearance, and is used as
church and community center. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -
MAN'S HOLE - LOCATION: 2 miles S of Marble Falls on US 281;
0.5 miles E on RM 2147; 0.5 miles S on CR 401
Entomologist Ferdinand Lueders made the
earliest recorded discovery of this cave in 1821. Notorious in the
Civil War ear, the hole is believed to have been the dumping
ground for up to 17 bodies, including those of pro-Union Judge
John R. Scott and settler Adolph Hoppe, several reconstruction-era
county government officials, and Ben McKeever, who had a conflict
with local freedmen. An oak tree which once stood over the cave
was said to have rope marks caused by hangings. Powerful gases
prevented thorough exploration of the site until 1951. The hole
was platted in 1968 by the Texas Speleological Society and was
found to be 155 feet deep and 50 feet long. (1998) [Photo]
CEMETERY - LOCATION: 12 miles N. of Burnet on US 281; 0.2
miles W on CR 103.
The Dobyville Cemetery is the last
visible remnant of the community of Dobyville, settled in the
1850s, and named for the town's location on a white adobe rock
hill. The cemetery contains more than 230 marked graves; between
60 and 70 graves are unmarked and believed to be infants. The
earliest documented grave was for Mary E. Standefer (1833-1857),
daughter of Hugh and Ana Lawhon. Many of the area's early pioneers
are buried here, along with former elected officials of local and
state government, and veterans of several wars. The cemetery
continues to serve the area. (1996)
EBELING, OTTO - House - LOCATION: 601 Avenue F, Marble Falls.
Banker Otto Ebeling (1863-1935) built
this Victorian residence for his wife, Emille (Giesecke) and their
four children shortly after moving to Marble Falls in 1891.
Ebeling sold the property in 1913 when he moved to Austin. Over
the years the structure has served as a nursing home, a
photographic studio, and a residence. The Otto Ebeling house
reflects Eastlake styling and features distinctive bay windows
with decorative stained glass borders. Recorded Texas Historic
Landmark - 1983. [Photo]
GRANT - LOCATION: In roadside
overlook on Highway 1431, 1 mile south of Kingsland, the marker is
in Burnet County overlooking the grant to the west.
Stretches between Llano and Colorado
Rivers westward almost to the Pecos. An 1842 Grant of 3,800,000
acres from the Texas Republic, purchased in 1844 by the German
Emigration Society. Commissioner General John O. Meuseback founded
Fredericksburg in 1846 as way-station to the grant. He negotiated
peace with the Comanches, to provide for unmolested settlement. He
Founded 3 towns in the grant. In 1845 he was appointed to issue
headrights. Counties formed from the grant are: Kimble, Llano,
McCullough, Mason, Menard, Schleicher, San Saba, Sutton, and Tom
Green. (1964) [Photo]
CROGHAN - LOCATION: Highway 29
W. in Burnet at entrance to Fort Croghan Museum.
Site of Fort Croghan, established by
Lieut. C.H. Tyler, United States Second Dragoons, by order of the
War Department, March 18, 1849. As a protection to frontier
settlers against hostile Indians, abandoned in December 1855, as
the settlement had extended farther west. (1936) [Photo]
- House - LOCATION: 2 miles SE of
RR 2147, 6 miles west of Marble Falls.
Conrad L. Fuchs, born in Germany in
1834, came to Texas in 1845 with his parents, Pastor and Mrs.
Adolf Fuchs, who settled in Austin County. The Fuchs family moved
into this area of Burnet County in 1853. In 1861, Conrad Fuchs
married Anna E. Perlitz at Black Jack Springs, in Fayette County,
and soon returned to move into a log cabin on this property, which
was granted to him by the State of Texas on May 15, 1862. When
Fuchs decided to join the Confederate army, he took his wife back
to Fayette County, and enlisted in an artillery unit.
After the Civil War, he returned here
and built a stream grist and saw mill on nearby Tiger Creek. On
Sept. 2, 1872, the "Tiger Mill" post office was opened, and Conrad
Fuchs named postmaster. Located on the Burnet-Willow City Road,
Tiger Mill became the community center for the early settlers in
In the late 1870s or early 1880s, Conrad
Fuchs built this house to accommodate the post office and his
growing family of 6 children. It was constructed of field stone in
the pioneer German style, with a large central hall, shingled
roof, and plastered interior. Mrs. Fuchs held school for area
children in the home.
After Conrad Fuchs' death, Feb 16, 1898,
Mrs. Fuchs sold the property. The house was restored in 1972-73.
HOUSE - LOCATION: 108 East League St., Burnet.
The original part of this house was
built in 1856. The adobe and rock residence, owned by Maj. Hugh H.
Calvert, also served as an inn. Local landowner Enoch Brooks
bought the home in 1885 and made major additions to the structure.
Significant changes were also made by W.C. Galloway (1856-1936),
who became the owner in 1899. A prominent businessman and an
organizer of the First State Bank of Burnet, he served as county
tax collector and mayor of the city. Recorded Texas Historic
Landmark - 1981. [Photo]
GRANITE MOUNTAIN -
LOCATION: On FM 1431, 1 mile West of Marble Falls.
This 866-foot dome of solid pink
granite, covering 180 acres, contains the largest quarry of its
kind in the United States. This mountain, like all granite
formations, was once melted rock, similar to lava. As the molten
rock cooled thousands of feet below the earth's surface, it
hardened into large crystals of quartz, feldspar and several
Wherever strength, durability and beauty
of finish are required, granite is a favored building stone. The
mountain was part of a grant made to Texas colonist William
Slaughter. The site became famous commercially when a dispute
arose in the 1880s over the type of stone to be used in the
Capitol in Austin. The issue was settled in 1885 when Governor
John Ireland resisted demands to use non-native limestone.
Following this decision, a special track
was built to haul the granite to the rail line in Burnet. The
stone was generously donated to the state by quarry owners G.W.
Lacy, N.L. Norton, and W.H. Westfall.
Today granite from the quarry here is
shipped to all parts of Texas, the U.S., and foreign countries for
use in monuments, shafts, jetties, and buildings. It has been used
in the Galveston sea wall and in new state office buildings near
the Capitol in Austin. (1979) [Photo]
SPRINGS - LOCATION: On Mormon Mills road, 2.3 miles south of
Burnet, west side of road.
The first white settlement Holland
Springs occurred in 1847, when Henry E. McCulloch established a
Texas Ranger camp there. A year later, Samuel Holland, a Georgian,
decided while visiting camp to establish a farm. In 1849 the
ranger camp gave way to Fort Croghan and Holland took over the
land around the springs, paying 50 cents an acre for 1,280 acres.
He is recorded as the first permanent settler in what later became
Burnet County. When the county organized in 1852, he was the first
treasurer. His father-in-law was the first judge. Holland Springs
was one of the more important settlements in the early days of the
county and had a school. (1969) [Photo]
VALLEY CEMETERY - LOCATION: On Park Road 4 near the intersection
with RR 2342 in Western Burnet County.
Established in 1850 by the Rev. Isaac
Hoover, of the local Methodist Protestant Church. He came from
Tennessee; soon initiated services in nearby Oak Grove; oldest
stone dates from about 1850. another grave is of Whitlock family
killed by Indians. Marked graves total 157; unmarked, 88. Tract is
still in use. (1969) [Photo]
TREE - LOCATION: between the
Highlander Inn and Hamilton Creek just off Highway 29 West in
The Comanche Indian would leave a
sapling-size tree bent to the grund and tied down to serve as a
marker at the better camping spots along their trail. As the tree
grew it would maintain horizontal position. Such is the position
of the live oak on Hamilton Creek. This tree appears in the Book
"Famous Trees of Texas" published in 1971 by the Texas Forest
Service, which is a part of A&M University System.
COUNTY - LOCATION: just east of
square on Washington Street, Burnet.
County jail, built in 1884 of hand-hewn
rock. Has apartment for sheriff, who is also jailer, on second
floor, where the county library was founded. Recorded Texas
Historic Landmark - 1966. [Photo]
ADAM R. - Home - LOCATION: 404
S. Water Street (U.S. Highway 281 South, in Burnet)
"Rocky Rest", built 1860 by General Adam
R. Johnson, of hand-hewn stone, logs, high windows and thick walls
kept out the Indians. Once housed a school. 1966.
JOHNSON, ADAM R. -
LOCATION: on SE corner of Burnet
County Court House lawn.
Home county of Texas Confederate General
Adam R. Johnson. Joined Confederate Army 1861. Calvary scout with
Gen. Nathan B. Forrest, 1861-62, commanded Partisan Rangers
1862-64 excuting daring exploits behind enemy lines in Kentucky
area. Took Newburgh, Indiana with 12 men and stovepipe cannon.
Promoted to Brigadier General June 1864. Escaped from Federal trap
on Buffington's Island by swimming Ohio river with some of
command, blinded by gunshot wound and captured August 1864.
Escaped Spring 1865. A memorial to Texans who served the
Confederacy, erected by the State of Texas, 1963.
MARKER. Born Kentucky, came to Burnet County, Texas 1854. Overland
mail stage driver, surveyor, noted frontier Indian fighter.
Although totally blind for life as result of war wounds, he became
prominent postwar Texas citizen. Founded Texas mining improvement
company, contracted for overland mail service, promoted
development of water power on Colorado river. Founded town of
Marble Falls, during the bloodless Coke-Davis controversy of 1874
marking the end of Davis radical reconstruction rule, Johnson went
to capitol with his old army six-shooter to fire into the basement
at the Davis forces if necessary, but Coke gained the governor's
office without armed conflict.
|JOHNSON, ADAM R. Parkway. - LOCATION: At entrance to Buchanan Dam entrance to
administration building; on HW 29 W of Burnet|
Dedicated in memory of Adam R. Johnson,
Brig. General, Confederate States of America, Pioneer
Texan--engineer--builder. Though blinded, had first vision of
harnessing tremendous reserves of Colorado River for the welfare
of Texans--in 1880 purchased lands upon which Buchanan Dam stands.
Here his dreams have come true.
|JOPPA COMMUNITY - LOCATION: On county road off FM 243, 7 miles NE of
Some of the first settlers in this
farming and ranching community were the William Alexander Faires
Family in 1874 and the Martin Luther Ater Family the next year.
The settlement was called "Pool Branch" for a nearby pool formed
by a waterfall. In the 1880s a cotton gin and mill were located on
the pool which was known as "Mill Pond". there was a store, a
blacksmith shop, and one mile from the gin, Mrs. Hattie Snow Smith
ran a hat shop in her home.
J.S. and Jane Danford of Delaware
County, Iowa, gave two acres in 1881 for a school and church,
provided the schoolhouse was completed by March 1, 1882. Area
residents met the
With the establishment of a post office
in 1891, the community's name changed to the biblical "Joppa".
William F. Childers served as the first postmaster. After the
coming of rural mail
delivery, the post office closed in
Worship was held in the Jopps
schoolhouse until 1913 when the Joppa Baptist Church congregation
erected this meetinghouse. The Joppa school consolidated with
Bertram in 1942. All that remains of the pioneer settlement
is the church house and school building which serves as a
community center. (1979) [Photo]
One of "Old 300" of Stephen F. Austin's
first colony from Pennsylvania, took part in 1836 war for Texas
Independence, he made and lost several stakes. In 1851 bought a
league and labor of Burnet County land, including site of Fort
Croghan. Amassed wealth as Army beef contractor, gave 100 acres
and town square for Burnet County Seat. To build a college here he
willed $23,500 and 6,359 acres of land to Burnet. The will was
broken; city got a 2-acre site for a public school. It is said "He
never refused to help when he observed its need." (1970)
B. Johnson - LOCATION: In
roadside overlook 1 mile south of Kingsland on Highway 1431.
This lake, originally Granite Shoals,
was renamed for the President of the United States on April 22,
1965, by the Board of Directors, Lower Colorado River Authority
(LCRA) in gratitude for his work as U.S. Congressman and Senator
toward the development of the project. Mr. Johnson devoted much
time and skill to the completion of LCRA programs creating flood
control, water conservation and low cost electric power for the
people of the Highland Lake country.
A native of this hill
country, Mr. Johnson maintains a home on the lake and uses it
often as a place of relaxation and entertaining of guests; it is
near his ranch and boyhood home. The body of water impounded by
the Alvin Wirtz Dam has 6,200 surface acre-feet, construction was
begun on the dam in 1949 and since its completion the lake has
primarily been a source of hydroelectric energy from the overflow
of Lake Buchanan to the north. It is also one of Texas' most
outstanding boating and fishing areas. this lake, some 20 miles
long, is one of seven on the LCRA, which extend 100 miles up the
Colorado from Austin. Together they form the largest hydroelectric
system in the state. (1967)
|LAKE VICTOR LODGE - LOCATION: Lake
Victor, at the corner of Railroad Ave. and FM 2340|
Sponsored by the nearby Robert E. Lee Lodge, Lake Victor Lodge
No. 1011, A.F. & A.M. was formally established in December
1909 during the 73rd annual grand communications of the Grand
Lodge of Texas. The first meeting of the Lake Victor Lodge took
place in a rented building on January 1, 1910. The lodge built
its own meeting place on this site in 1914 and continued to meet
on that site throughout the 20th century. Was reported in
1953-1954. In 1999, the lodge had 36 members, three of whom had
more than 50 years of service. As is Masonic custom, the Lake
Victor Lodge contributes to charitable causes. The Lodge
continues to uphold the traditions of its founders.
CAVERN - ADMINISTRATION BUILDING - LOCATION: Longhorn Cavern State Park, 5 miles S.
of Burnet on US 281, then 5.5 miles W. on Park Road 4.
Longhorn Cavern opened as a State Park
in 1932. From 1934 to 1942, Company 854 of the Civilian
Conservation Corps (CCC) worked here to explore and develop the
cavern. Using hand
labor and native materials, the CCC
workers built this structure in a style now known as National Park
Service (NPS) rustic. Completed by 1936, the one-story stone
pavillion served as administrative offices for the park until
1967. An outside stairway leads to an observation terrace.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1989.
LONGHORN CAVERN -
LOCATION: on Park Road 4 between
highways 281 and 29.
Rich in history and folklore. A young
geologic formation only a few million years old. Bones of
elephant, bison, bear, deer, and other animals found here. When
white men came to area in
1840s, Indians knew the caverns. Rangers
once found and rescued a kidnapped girl from Indians in "Council
Room." During Civil War (1861-1865) gunpowder was manufatured and
stored here. In 1870s outlaws, including the Sam Bass Gang,
sometimes lived in the cavern. Site of night club in 1920s. Has
many unique features. Was opened to public in 1932.
Longhorn Cavern has been designated a
registered National Landmark under the provisions of the Historic
Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional
value in illustrating the natural history of the United States.
Lower Colorado River Authority. - LOCATION: at entrance to Buchanan Dam, highway
29 West of Burnet
A public multiple purpose project
dedicated to the happiness, security, and welfare of the