Mrs. Sarah Ann (Taylor) Nichols, one of the earliest settler[s] of Briggs was born in Henderson County, Tenn., Nov. 13, 1861, daughter of Stephen and Nancy Adeline (Ross) Taylor, who were married Jan. 30, 1861 and who came to Texas in 1876, settling first in Florence for a year then moving to Briggs in 1879. They were the parents of six children:
Mr. Stephen Taylor's mother was Jermina (Birmingham) Taylor and his father was Jesse Taylor, natives of North Carolina.
Sarah Ann Taylor was married Oct. 20, 1878 in Lexington, Tenn. to William Alfred Nichols who was born Nov. 10, 1858 and died Aug. 10, 1938. This young couple came to Briggs in 1882 and have resided here since. They were the parents of six children:
They also have 16 grand children and 22 great grand children and one great great grand child. There being five generations at this date, June 1, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. W.A. (Luck) Nichols and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Taylor were prominent citizens and had much to do with the developing of this section. "Taylor's Gin" which is now the town of Briggs was named after Stephen Taylor as he owned and operated the first cotton gin.
Mrs. Nichols relates how she remembers that her grandfather Ross was a Yankee and served in the Northern Army while her grandfather Taylor was a Confederate soldier and when they visited their children on furloughs, they feared each other and were very cautious of saying or doing any thing that the other could report. They usually sent a scout to see that the other one was not at home before making their presence known.
Stephen Taylor, father of our sketch was born July 9, 1838 and died at Briggs, Sept. 28, 1918. Her mother, Nancy Adaline (Ross) Taylor was born Feb. 12, 1844 and was from a family of eleven children. She died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. A. Nichols, Mar. 26, 1931, at Briggs, Texas.