How It All Began...
by Donaly Brice

In 1847 the area that would later comprise Caldwell County was part of northern Gonzales County. With the county seat of Gonzales being about thirty miles from Lockhar, it was a considerable imposition for persons in this area to travel so far to transact any official county business. By December 1847, settlers in the area decided to petition the state legislature to divide Gonzales County and create a new county, making Lockhart the county seat.

Originally, the petitioners largely voted in favor of the name of Christian County or Goode County for this newly-proposed county. However, the original handwritten petition submitted to the legislature specified the name of Plum Creek County. Even this suggestion was ultimately changed to Caldwell County to honor one of the original signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence and an old Indian fighter who had participated in the Battle of Plum Creek in 1840.

The original petition to create the new county met some resistance in the legislature and failed to be passed. When broght back before the legislature, an appointed committee of citizens, including Col. John T. Storey, Joshua Hall, Isham Good and [George] Fulgam, went to Austin and met with a number of legislators and lobbied them until they were able to get a favorable vote in both houses. The act to create Caldwell County was signed on March 6, 184 8. A brief glimpse into the lives of the first 54 men in the order in which they signed the petition can be found below.

  Isham J Good   James H Wells   John Neely Elliot

  Signer   Signer   Signer

  Signer   Signer   Signer

  Signer   Signer   Signer

  Signer   Signer   Signer

Updated 09/03/2013
BIRTHS CEMETERIES MARRIAGES PHOTOS
PIONEERS STORIES TOWNS WAR MEMORIALS
MAIN PAGE RESEARCH CENTER RESOURCES LINKS
Caldwell County TXGenWeb  Copyright © 2013  
Coordinators, V Sofge and N Hickman
All Rights Reserved. Limited use rights may be granted by written or electronic permission.