Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

Cox's Point

The port came into existence right before the time of the Texas Republic. Cox's Point was located east of the mouth of the Lavaca River on a a tertiary bay called Cox's Bay. The port was named after Thomas Cox,  a hero of the Battle of San Jacinto.  A wharf and warehouse was built sometime in 1834 or 1835.

As the war between Mexico and the Texians heated up in 1835 and 1836, General Sam Houston dispatched orders for supplies to be brought in at Dimmit's Landing and Cox's Point and for Colonel Fannin to pick up the supplies to take back inland.  Fannin never did pick up the supplies. The stockpiles of supplies never got to the men who needed them because of the difficulties in securing wagons to carry the supplies inland.

 Cox's Point did have the dubious honor of being blasted off Lavaca Bay by the Texas navy so that the Mexican Army, who was in hot pursuit of the Texians, would not be able to use the facilities. Aloca Aluminum now occupies the site of Cox's Point, directly across Lavaca Bay from Port Lavaca.

 

Calhoun County TXGenWeb main page

Texas Old Photos 

familyoldphotos.com

Historic Texas Cemeteries

Jackson Co. TXGenWeb

Val Verde Co. TXGenWeb

Culberson Co. TXGenWeb

This page is part of the TXGenWeb and USGenWeb projects.  All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Calhoun County TXGenWeb site are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space provided by RootsWeb and HistoricTexas.net.  Thanks to Darlene Baker for her work on this site.

 

Copyright 2004 Teri A. Brown, Walter Brown and Assoc. All rights reserved.