Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

Dimmitt's Landing

Dimmit's Landing was established near the mouth of the Lavaca River some time around 1830 by Philip Dimmit. Dimmit had come to Texas from Kentucky in 1822, married Maria Luisa Laso in 1828 and became a naturalized citizen of Mexico. In 1829 he petitioned for a league of land as head of family and an extra one quarter league for his Mexican wife. He received title to the land on the east side of Lavaca Bay.

Dimmit was a trader and therefore established the landing near the Lavaca River mouth where he built a warehouse. The warehouse was used to receive and store supplies that were going to the Texas army. The inland port became important enough to have a customshouse and a clerk. Prior to this acquisition,  goods going to Dimmit's Landing were cleared through the customshouse at the Port of Matagorda.

Good fortunes for Dimmit's Landing did not last however. Dimmit opened a new trading post on Nueces Bay and spent much time in that area and in Copano Bay. The prosperous years for Dimmit's Landing started to fade as the City of Lavaca began to grow. After Dimmit's death in Mexico in 1841, Dimmit's Landing faded forever.  

 

Calhoun County TXGenWeb main page

Texas Old Photos 

familyoldphotos.com

Historic Texas Cemeteries

Jackson Co. TXGenWeb

Val Verde Co. TXGenWeb

Culberson Co. TXGenWeb

This page is part of the TXGenWeb and USGenWeb projects.  All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Calhoun County TXGenWeb site are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space provided by RootsWeb and HistoricTexas.net.  Thanks to Darlene Baker for her work on this site.

 

Copyright 2004 Teri A. Brown, Walter Brown and Assoc. All rights reserved.