In 1839, the Congress of the Republic of Texas set aside 640 acres on the east end of Matagorda Island for its official port of entry.  The exact location of Calhoun is not known  but an old map shows it located just southeast of the bulge of Matagorda Island, just after entering Pass Cavallo.  A total of 173 lots were planned and surveyed by Edward Linn, brother of John Linn, for whom Linnville was named after. Plans were made to include a lot each for the Methodist, Catholic, and Presbyterian Churches. There were two squares for public use, one for a fish market, and one for male and female academies. A fort was added called Fort Washington. The official city of the Republic of Texas was sometimes called Calhoun City and Port Calhoun. It was home for most of the port pilots who boarded inbound vessels and guided them to interior ports and check their cargo for customs purposes.


Calhoun County TXGenWeb main page

Texas Old Photos

Historic Texas Cemeteries

Val Verde Co. TXGenWeb

Presidio Co. TXGenWeb

Jackson Co. TXGenWeb

Wharton Co. TXGenWeb

Brown Co. TXGenWeb

Ector Co. TXGenWeb

Culberson Co. TXGenWeb

This page is part of the TXGenWeb and USGenWeb projects.  All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Calhoun County TXGenWeb site are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space provided by RootsWeb and  Thanks to Darlene Baker for her work on this site.


Copyright 2009 Teri A. Brown. All rights reserved.