Search billions of records on

Cameron county texas


Last modified: 6 JUN 2012

[ Back to Deaths ]

The funeral of Dr. Eugene Shannon McCain, murdered Monday night by bandits in the wreck and robbery of a passenger train, was held this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, with services at the Church of the Sacred Heart, under the direction of Rev. Father J. B. Frigon. The body was shipped at 4:05 o'clock this afternoon to the home of this wife's parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Heard, at Refugio, Texas, accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Heard, their three sons, and a host of friends of the deceased and his bereaved family. The family arrived in Brownsville by special train late yesterday.

Dr. McCain is a Virginian by birth, having seen the first light of day in Montgomery, in that state, April 3, 1878. He became a practicing physician, and early in life removed to Louisiana, where his mother now resides. he later came to Texas and settled at Refugio where he married the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Heard, and who survives him.

Six years ago Dr. McCain removed to Brownsville from Refugio for the benefit of his health. Four years ago he was appointed deputy state health officer and quarantine officer at the port of Brownsville, his district extending along the Rio Grande, as far as Rio Grande City, and north along the coast, sometimes taking in the port of Galveston.

In the course of his duties as quarantine officer Dr. McCain was called upon to protect the residents of the American side of the border against diseases from across the border, and he established a quarantine last spring which effectually stamped out one disease and probably prevented the entry of others. As acting county physician Dr. McCain took charge of the detention hospital, and during the height of what was termed a small epidemic of smallpox he attended personally ninety cases, practically all of them Mexicans, only seven of whom died.

Dr. McCain's record as a physician say those who knew him, is an enviable one.

The pall bearers were Robert M. Dalzell, H. L. Yates, Lawrence H. Bates, Grover C. Wagner, Stephen P. Browne and William G. Willman.

Brownsville Herald, Wednesday, October 20, 1915

H. H. Kendall, the engineer kiled (sic) as the result of the wreck Monday night, was the engineer who operated the first standard gauge railroad train into Brownsville. This was in 1904 at the completion of the St. Louis, Brownsvilel (sic) & Mexico railroad, and he has been with this line since that time.

The body of Engineer Kendall was held in state at the Hinkley undertaking chapel until this afternoon when it was removed to the train for shipment to his home at Kingsville. He was 50 years old and is survived by his wife and five children.

The body was escorted from the HInkley chapel to the station by the local commandery of the Knights Templar, of which body the deceased was a member, having been affiliated with the Corsicana lodge.

Brownsville Herald, Wednesday, October 20, 1915

Private Thomas J.Cotter of Troop A, Sixth United States cavalry, stationed at Los Indios, twenty-five miles up the Rio Grande, shot himself in the heart accidentally at the camp yesterday afternoon, and died instantly. The body was taken to San Benito on the "Spider Web," and then to Harlingen, and reshipped to Brownsville, arriving here at noon today. The body is being prepared for shipment at the Hinkley parlors, and Monday afternoon will be sent to his home at San Francisco.

Brownsville Herald, Saturday, October 23, 1915


(Special to The Herald.)
LA FERIA, Tex. Aug. 10-W. H. Lane, 68 years old, died of heart failure here at 9 o'clock this morning while on his way to his cotton field. Arrangements were made today to convey the body to Morrill, Neb., his former home, where the funeral will be held. Besides his widow, Mr. Lane is survived by three sons and two daughters, Barton Lane and Kent Lane of Morrill, Noble Lane of Sheridan, Wyoming, Mrs, Neva Adams of La Feria, and Mrs. Gertrude Dewey of Nederland, Col. Mr. Lane came to La Feria eight years ago, and bought property here. His place was noted as one of the show places of the Valley, and his orchard was full of all lands of citrus trees.

Brownsville Herald, August 10, 1921
transcribed by Nan Lambert Starjak

Vera Elizabeth, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Lynch, died yesterday afternoon at their home on Washington and Eighth streets. The child was just a little over a month old. The funeral will be held this afternoon.

Brownsville Herald, August 7, 1921
transcribed by Nan Lambert Starjak

Wealthy Ranchman, Son of Border Country, Passes to His Reward

John J. Young, Sr., native of Brownsville, weathly ranchman, and prominent citizen of the border country, died at his residence at 504 St. Charles street, at 11 o'clock last night.

Mr. Young last March began to undergo treatment for a tumor that developed in his throat. He made several trips to New Orleans and to Rochester, Minn., to secure relief, but owing to the peculiar nature of the trouble, the surgeons could do nothing except give temporary relief. He returned home and until three weeks ago was in otherwise good health. He then began to fail and was forced to take to his bed. Friday evening at 6 o'clock he became unconscious and remained unconscious until Saturday afternoon, when he recovered semi-conscientiousness for perhaps six hours. The relapse came Saturday afternoon and he was unconsciousuntil death came.

It was announced from the residence early this morning that the funeral will be held at 5 o'clock Monday afternoon from the residence to the Sacred Heart Church. Burial will be in Buena Vista Burial Park.

Surviving Mr. Young are his widow and eight children, David J. Young, Angus J. Young, John J. Young, Jr., William J. Young, Mrs. David J. Fernandez, Mrs. X. Camiade, Mrs. W. G. Ingram, and Miss Corinna Young. He is also survived by four grandchildren.

The deceased was born in the city of Brownsville on July 6, 1854, and was 67 years and one month at the time of death. He was the son of John J. Young and Salome Balli. His father, a native of Edinburg, Scotland, where he was born in 1802, came to the United States as a young man, and while there are no family records available to show the year of his arrival on the border, he is believed to have come here about 1836.

The elder Young died four years after the birth of his son, and Mrs. Young later became the wife of the late John B. McAllen, after whom the city of McAllen, in Hidalgo county is named.

The second John J. Young married Miss Alberta Balli in Brownsville in 1884, and she survives him.

The history of John J. Young, Sr., is indelibly interwoven with the history of Hidalgo county. He was one of the very few surviving stockmen who in their youth experienced the adventure that accompanied the herding of stock all the way across Texas from the Rio Grande, across Oklahoma and to the livestock markets at Dodge City, Kansas, in the late sixties and the seventies and even into the eighties before railroad transportation was available. The drives would begin in the early spring, and it was often late fall before the cowpunchers and stockmen returned from their long trips over the broad prairies of Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

Mr. Young was the owner of Santa Anita ranch, in the northern part of Hidalgo county, one of the very few ranches that have withstood the inroads of irrigation and agriculture in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. But this was not because of opposition to the changes on the part of Mr. Young, but rather because of the distance of the property from the river. Many of the irrigation districts of Hidalgo county, many of the towns, stand on land formerly owned either by the Young interests or by the McAllen interests.

He spent most of his life on the ranch in Hidalgo county, after growing to manhood, but always maintained his business headquarters in this city, although for many years the family made their home on the ranch. About thirteen years ago Mr. Young erected in Brownsville, at Fifth and St. Charles streets, one of the most palatial and handsomest homes in the city, and brought the family there to reside. However, he continued to spend a great deal of his time on the ranch, until within the last half dozen years he began to relinquish the management of the ranch to his son, John J. Young, Jr.

While not taking a personally active interest in affairs in the city of Brownsville, Mr. Young was a liberal contributor to the many public enterprises and efforts that have been undertaken in this city since returning here to make his residence.
Brownsville Herald, August 7, 1921
transcribed by Nan Lambert Starjak

[ Back to Deaths ]