TXGenWeb Logo Camp County, Texas Texas Flag

Camp County Information Page!

John LaFayette Camp was born on a farm adjacent to Elyton (now a suburb or Birmingham), Alabama, in 1820; attended the common schools and at the age of twenty graduated from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. He removed to Texas and located at Gilmer, in Upshur County, where he taught school and practiced law. He was then elected Captain of a company of Upshur County and joined the Confederate Army. When the Fourteenth Texas Regiment was organized, he was elected Colonel, and in that capacity served through the entire period of the war. He was twice wounded in the right leg. He was twice captured and imprisoned for many months. After the war, he returned to Texas and was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1866 and State Senator in 1874. He became District Judge in 1878 and was appointed a member of the Board of Regents of the State University, but owing to ill health could not serve. In 1884 he was appointed Land Commissioner to Arizona. At the end of his term he moved to San Antonio and after a lingering illness died in July 1891.

Camp County was created out of the northern part of Upshur County in 1874. The land was furnished to John Lafayette in behalf of his Civil War duties. With only 102 square miles of land mass, Camp County is the third smallest county in Texas.

For many years, Camp County was primarily an agricultural community. At one time, Camp County raised more sweet potatoes than any other county in the state. As a result of this large crop, a basket factory became the county's largest industry. After the basket factory closed, the poultry and feed processing industries became prominent in the county.

Camp County's population exceed 9,900. The hard working agricultural spirit which established Camp County and Pittsburg is reflected in the diversified blend of retail, industrial and manufacturing businesses located in the area.

Camp County Historic Sites of Interest


Cities and Towns in Camp County
  • Pittsburg
  • Leesburg
  • Newsome

  • Other places of interest

    * Abernathy House
      (406 Quitman Street, Pittsburg) This beautiful Queen Ann Victorian Style home was built in 1896 by D.H. Abernathy and Mary Lou Pitts Abernathy. Mr. Abernathy was a dry goods merchant in downtown - you can see his building located at the corner of Mt. Pleasant and Quitman Streets. Mary Lou Pitts was the niece of Major W. H. Pitts who founded the city in 1854.
    * The Pitts Cemetery
      From the downtown sidewalk in Pittsburg you can see the cemetery established by the Major W. H. Pitts for the Pitts family.
    * The Depot Museum
      (200 W. Marshall St., Pittsburg) A 1901 railroad depot served the St. Louis Southwestern Railroad also called the Cotton Belt. The depot was completely renovated by local volunteers in 1991. The museum houses an operating telegraph display and many regional exhibits ranging from agriculture to automobiles.
    * Witness Park and Prayer Tower
      This beautiful park in downtown Pittsburg, donated by Bo Pilgrim, contains a statue of Jesus washing Peter's feet and a fountain surround the 75-foot Tower which supports four Paccard bells from France. Inside, four stained glass windows depict the life of Jesus. Relax inside and sign the prayer book.
    * First Methodist Church
      (200 Mt. Pleasant St., Pittsburg) The First Methodist Church was first organized in 1857 when Pittsburg was a young community with settlers arriving each year. The first church meetings were held in an old log building, formerly used as a schoolhouse. In 1904-1905 the brick prairie style church was built under the pastorate of Reverend E. L. Settles.
    * The Farmstead Museum
      (206 Mt. Pleasant St., Pittsburg) The Farmstead site has the 100 year old Hoffman house built by Charles Adam Hoffman, a barn and corral, a demonstration garden and education pavilion, windmill, privy, smoke house, and a General Store.



    Camp County Courthouse
    126 Church Street
    Pittsburg, TX 75686
    (903) 856-2731


    Pittsburg-Camp County Public Library
    Faye McMinn Genealogical Research Center
    Nancy Murillo, Library Director
    613 Quitman Street
    Pittsburg, TX 75686
    903-856-3302


    Camp County Genealogical Society
    ATTN: Glenda Kinard
    P.O. Box 1083
    Pittsburg, TX 75686
    (903) 856-2062


    Pittsburg Museum
    (903) 856-1200

    The Pittsburg Gazette
    112 Quitman Street
    Pittsburg, TX 75686
    (903) 856-6629


    Pittsburg/Camp County Chamber of Commerce
    202 Jefferson Street
    Pittsburg, Texas 75686
    (903) 856-3442




    * African Americans in Camp, Harrison, Marion and Upshur Counties
    Great African American Resources
    * City of Pittsburg
    * Rootsweb Genealolgical Resources
    Camp County, Texas resources located on Rootsweb
    * The PILGRIM family of Camp Co., TX





    * Texas Confederate Pension Records
    * The Genealogist's Index to the World Wide Web


     

    [Return to Camp County Main Page ]



    Copyright © 2012-Present
    Bunny Freeman