Cass County


By Evelyn Haynes
Transcribed by Gwen Brewer McDaniel, January 19, 2000


There were three different locations of the Salem School. The first was about one miles west of present day Bloomburg and one half mile east of the present location of Salem church.The second location was about one-fourth mile east of the site of the city dumping ground and one mile northwest of Bloomburg on a small plot of land belonging to W. B. Simmons, a pioneer Baptist minister.The third location was where the Salem Church parsonage now stands.

These are the known teachers and students of the first Salem School:

Frank Endsley
Jerome Bonoparte Haynes
John Alexander Haynes
J. S. Ambercrombie

Sarah Ellen and Annie Jones
Emma and Elizabeth Endsley
R. S. Hurt
Will and Sarah Easters
Tom and Dessa Richards
Dessa Clements
Mildred and Bud Vaughan
Ensy and Mattie McWilliams
Ada and Fannie Brown
Joe and Henry Jones
Luella Clements

There were others, but these were given to us by their descendants or those who knew they were there. 

On record, December 24, 1883, Deed Record – Cass County: Zedric C. Clements – 1 acre to County Judge for purpose of establishing a school (Richard Peters Survey). 

Second Salem School:

Jim Griffin
L. Wommack (1898)

Norman Simmons
Mattie, Morris, and Ollie Foster
Maude, Velma, Aubrey, and Mae Bentley
Frank, Marvin, and Clyde McKnight
Dick, O.O., and Lee Kennedy
Maggie, Oma, and Connie Easter.

The third school was started in the late 1890's.  There were other teachers until the school consolidated with Bloomburg in 1933. Free text books were given from 1920.

© 2010 - Present TXGenWeb