By Sam L. Henderson
Appeared in the Sixtieth Anniversary Issue of Citizens Journal, 1939
Trying Times In Cass County
The Civilian Conservation Corps, organized in 1933, was launched to alleviate distress caused by unemployment. A great chain of camps
was established where young men would work on forest and park conservation projects.
The history of Cass County's own CCC camp at Linden, Texas, is characteristic of the growth of the entire organization from the early days when a few understood exactly what was expected of them to the highly efficient Corps of today.
Company 1814 was organized on June 6, 1933 at Fort Logan, Colorado. Three days after the organization of the company, 167 Oklahoma enrollees were received and the began the usual work of a forestry camp.
On December 1, 1933, the camp was transferred to Groveton, Texas where it was maintained as a forestry camp until April, 1934. It was then transferred to Austin, Texas to maintain the beautify Zilker Park.
On June 4, 1937, the camp was transferred to Linden, Texas. Since being in Linden CCC Company 1814 had made remarkable progress in every department. The camp grounds have been landscaped with beautiful grass and flowers flourishing. The technical service has done a noteworthy job of conserving the forests in this area.