"William Furneaux, a native of
England, came to Texas in 1857 and married Fanny Jackson (d. 1917),
whose family had come to Texas in 1848 as part of the Peters Colony.
This cemetery was established in 1884, when Furneaux died and was
buried on a section of his farm he had indicated should become a
public graveyard. Seven-year-old Peter Husky died soon after and was
buried near Furneaux. Although three graves bear earlier dates, they
were moved here from other cemeteries. With establishment of the
cemetery, Peter Husky's father, William, donated part of his land
for use as a church site. A public meeting was then held to discuss
plans for laying out plots and building a sanctuary. A cemetery
association was chartered in 1888, and the graveyard officially
became known as Furneaux Cemetery. Charter directors chosen were
Joseph Morgan, W. R. Dudley, John Jackson, V. S. Dudley, and J. H.
Furneaux. Originally surrounded by extensive farmland, the church
and cemetery sites became known as Cemetery Hill. When a 1924
tornado destroyed the frame church building, the cemetery
association acquired the land. The Furneaux Cemetery is the burial
place for many area pioneers and their descendants."