Historical Marker
Plaza Theater
Carrollton & Farmers Branch
TXGenWeb


Home > Historical Markers > Plaza Theater
 


THE PLAZA THEATER
Opened on December 23, 1949, this theater, commissioned by Mrs. A. R. (Vera) Lowery and her son John, served residents of the community within an approximate ten mile radius. Designed by architect Raymond F. Smith in a style known as brick modern, the lobby of the theater had a tiled floor, plaster ceiling with cove lighting and a built-in-seating typical of the time.  The original signage and marquee with neon lighting are still in use today. With more than forty-five years of continuous use the Plaza Theater remains a survivor of the golden age of motion pictures.

Location:

  • On the Downtown Carrollton Square, across from the Plaza Theater

See Also:

Notes:


Carrollton-Farmers Branch TXGenWeb
Supported by Edward Lynn Williams
Copyright January, 2012