Henry Oran Good
Carrollton & Farmers Branch
TXGenWeb


Home > People > G > Henry Oran Good
 

Henry Oran Good
Farmers Branch Mayor 1948-1950

 

BIOGRAPHY

Henry Oran Good (1905 - 1974), was the son of John Allen Good and Mary Ella Butler good.

He enlisted in the Army Signal Corps on July 29, 1942. As a graduate of Texas A&M he went into the service as a Second Lieutenant. He was sent to Harvard University for special training in Radio Installation and Maintenance and was allowed to come home for a few days in October 1942, before being shipped to Australia. In a letter home he mentioned sharing a private room on the ship with 123 other fellows !

Most of time Oran was gone he was in New Guinea; as the war progressed he was stationed in the Philippines. Occasionally, he was sent to Australia to recuperate. While in New Guinea, he wrote that he lived in a tent most of the time, but in his new location he had a floor in the ten which was considered a luxury. When a driving rain came up, it not only blew in but usually blew right out !

Among the medals he received are a Bronze Star, a Distinguished Unit Citation Badge, an Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal with two Bronze Service Stars, a Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart. After the war he received a letter from General Akin, commending him on his service above and beyond the call of duty.

After spending 36 months in the Pacific area, Oran came home war-weary and sick. He had recently been promoted to the rank of Major. He opened his business, the Good Electric Company in Carrollton on January 2, 1946, and was very successful. He was interested in the civic affairs of our community and became the second mayor of Farmers Branch.

After his death in 1974, he was honored by having a park named after him --- the Oran Good Park on Valley View Lane in Farmers Branch.

by Inez Sparkman Good


 

Henry Oran good
Entered service in Aug 1942, 2nd Lt.,
discharged Oct 1945 as captian

 

OBITUARY

Henry O. Good
FARMERS BRANCH - Funeral services for Henry Oran Good, 68, of 2527 Farmers Branch lane, owner of Good Electric Co., Inc., will be held at 11 a.m. Monday in the Webb Chapel Methodist Church. Burial will be in Keenan Cemetery here.
He died here Saturday.
A lifelong resident of Farmers Branch, Good was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II. He was a 32nd degree Mason and a member of the James A. Smith Masonic Lodge here. He was a graduate of Texas A&M University with a degree in electrical engineering. Good was a member of the Farmers Branch chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star and the Webb Chapel Methodist Church.
Good is survived by his wife, Inez, one son, two brothers and one sister.

The Dallas Morning News - March 11, 1974
Submitted by Edward Lynn Williams

OBITUARY

GOOD
Henry Oran, 2527, Farmers Branch Lane, Farmers Branch. Survived by wife, Mrs. Inez Good, Farmers Branch; son, John Good, Dallas; brothers, Chester Good, Carrollton, Truett Good, Farmers Branch; sisters, Mrs. Virgie Reeves, Farmers Branch, Services 10 a.m. Monday, Webb Chapel United Methodist Church in Farmers Branch, Rev. Gene Gordon officiating, Interment Farmers Branch Cemetery. Pallbearers; Connie Byrne, George Richardson, Willis Butler, John B. McMahon, Leon Russell, Jack Stracner, Howard Abel.
RHOTON-WEILAND-MERRITT
I-35 at Crosby Rd. Carrollton 242-5261

The Dallas Morning News - March 11, 1974
Submitted by Edward Lynn Williams

 


GOOD
HENRY ORAN AUG 16, 1905 - MAR 9, 1974
INEZ S. AUG 25, 1905 - Mar 23, 1989

Henry O. Good
CAPT US ARMY
AUG 16, 1905 - MAR 9, 1974

Keenan Cemetery, Farmers Branch, Dallas County, Texas
 

Notes:


Carrollton-Farmers Branch TXGenWeb
Supported by Edward Lynn Williams
Copyright January, 2012