J. H. Morgan
Services Set At 1:30 P.M.
Funeral services for John Henley Morgan, 78, Dallas real-estate dealer and
retired farmer and stockman will be held at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at Sparkman-Brand
Chapel, 2115 Ross.
The Rev. W. M. Dickson, associate pastor of the Highland Park Methodist Church,
will conduct the services. Burial will be at the family plot in
Cemetery Hill, Denton Co., two
miles north of Carrollton.
Morgan, who died Sunday at his home, 3306 Princeton, was a native of Devonshire,
England. His parents came to Texas first in 1859 but left during the Civil War.
They returned to Denton County in 1875 settling on Top Hill, the family farm
near what is now Hebron, Denton County.
There Morgan became a successful cattle and sheep raiser and his lambs often
topped the Fort Worth markets. He was a director of the Hebron State Bank and a
trustee on the school board.
During the days of Agriculture Adjustment Administration in the early '30s,
Morgan was assigned by the government to apportion land in the area for crop
quotas. In 1943, he retired from farming and moved to Dallas, where he took up
real estate transactions.
Morgan was a member of the Brotherhood Class of the Highland Park Methodist
Church. His hobbies were chess and working mathematical problems in his
head. He would relax by playing the piano and singing.
He and Mrs. Morgan, the former Miss Lula Maud Lord of Hebron, celebrated their
fiftieth wedding anniversary two years ago.
Besides his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Miss Mona Morgan, a teacher
in the Carrollton public schools, and
Mrs. T. J. Farrington of Dallas; a sister,
Mrs. Jack Amery of Liberty, Mo.; a brother, E. H. Morgan of Dallas and four
Pallbearers will be Joe Cobb of Lewisville, Fred Holt Jr., Morris Lord and Ervin
Crider, all of Hebron and William H. Furneaux and Dillon Morgan both of Dallas.
The Dallas Morning News - October 17, 1950
Edward Lynn Williams