Originally Webb Chapel Elementary, the school was constructed in 1959. The
name of the school was later changed after the death of its first principal,
Neil Ray McLaughlin, on
March 24, 1968. McLaughlin also served in the school district
as a teacher at Carrollton High School, assistant principal at
Middle School, and principal at the old Farmers Branch Elementary School.