Cherokee County, Texas
LYNCHES CHAPEL CEMETERY
(photo by Kaye Slover)
Lynches Chapel Cemetery is located 6.5 miles west of Alto, Texas on CR 2910 off SH 294. This cemetery is also called Black Jack , Jones Chapel or Landrum Cemetery.
Lynches Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery- Named for the Rev. Samuel Lynch (1824 - 1867), founder, beloved pastor. Services held before 1860, date of first written records. The Rev. J. A. Scruggs first pastor. Called "Blackjack church" first because of large grove of blackjack trees at site. The first structure was built in the 1870s. It was also used as Hendrick's School for many years. An unusual grave is that of an Indian child who died when a family was traveling through the area. The family returned annually for many years to decorate the grave. Texas Historical Commission Marker
This cemetery needs to be surveyed. To survey this cemetery or for lookup information contact Kaye Slover.