Cherokee County, Texas
(photo by Kaye Slover)
Shiloh Cemetery is located west of Alto, Texas. From the intersection of Hwy 69 & Hwy 21 go west on Hwy 21 & .3 miles to FM 294. Turn right on FM 294 & go .1 miles to FM 752. Turn right on FM 752 & go 2.6 miles.
Shiloh United Methodist Church and Cemetery - In 1845 Edwin and Martha Harry gave a one-acre site for the church. The name came from the Bible. The congregation used a log building until a frame one was built in 1870. It was replaced in 1912 by a frame structure that burned in the 1990s. It was still active in 1954. James W. Rozelle's child was the first burial in the cemetery in 1850. Shiloh Church Restoration Association formed on May 21, 1973, they own the cemetery. Texas Historical Commission Marker
Isaac Lee - was born in Georgia. He lived in Mississippi and Arkansas before settling first in San Augustine and then near Nacogdoches. He fought in the Battle of Nacogdoches and the War of Independence from Mexico. Lee died in 1880 and is buried in Shiloh Cemetery.
Thank you Robert Ferguson for the photos.
Jackson, Annie M. 1888 - 1958
Jackson, James M. 1883 - 1950
Jackson, Joseph Lloyd 16 Aug 1914 - 20 Jun 1972
Jackson, Mildred L. 6 Jun 1918 - 14 Apr 1934